What to do if a Window is where your acoustic panels should be

tpreager

Hi all,

In my control room which is about 12' x 20' long, we have placed a 3'x7' window on the long wall (20') which looks into the live room. Now, I've done a bit of research on where to place the acoustic panels to avoid 1st reflections from the adjacent wall to the mix position, and it looks like they should go exactly where the window is.

Does anybody have any ideas of how to rectify this situation? Moving the mix position in a different location is probably out of the question because of the layout of them room. I was thinking of just placing the panels all around the window to try and reduce the reflections a little bit, but I'm not sure. Also, we have angled the glass such that the reflections would direct up towards the ceiling, but I'm worried that most of the reflections will still end up in the mix position.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim,

> Does anybody have any ideas of how to rectify this situation? Moving the mix position in a different location is probably out of the question <

It seems to me your best bet is to put an absorbing panel on a stand so you can place it in front of the window while mixing, and move it out of the way when tracking.

--Ethan

Isn't hindsight wonderful. A little research would have gone a long way BEFORE building. Thank god for Ethan huh? Hey Ethan, how much are those Mondotraps on stands anyway? :D
fitZ

Rick,

MondoTraps are overkill for absorbing first reflections. A pair of MicroTraps on stands will do a fine job for much less $$$.

--Ethan

Tim,

> You don't think putting panels around the frame of the window would do the job? <

It all depends on where the reflection points are, and also if the glass is angled. Are you familiar with the concept of finding the first reflection points with a mirror? This is the issue - not getting absorption "close enough" but exactly in the right place. Yes, it does matter.

--Ethan

Yes, I am familiar with using the mirror to find first reflections. So I guess it comes down to determing if the glass is angled enough to pass over the mix position.

Tim,

> I guess it comes down to determing if the glass is angled enough <

The mirror will tell you that too.

--Ethan

Thanks Ethan, I'll be taking some measurements this weekend with a T60 Reverberation unit and some other equipment too in order to determine the room response before and after the panels have gone up.

Back