what to do about a damaged monitor

zenpicker

I've got a pair of Behringer Truths as my monitors and one of them has unfortunately been damaged somewhat. The woofer's center "bubble" has been puckered in a bit (picture a ding in a car door and you've got the idea) and I just noticed a hairline crack in the cone material. Yikes. :(

To my ears there's no obvious difference in tone, unless I detect a little harshness here and there at higher volumes, but I wonder what people would recommend in terms of repairing the poor thing. I gently removed the housing and the woofer is sealed in such a way that there is no way of popping out that pucker from the back side - can't get to it. The crack in the cone is exposed and I could treat it somehow, but how? My gut instinct is that the cure might be worse than the disease. Is there any sort of super-light epoxy or the like that one could apply, or is it best to leave well enough alone?

zenpicker said:
I've got a pair of Behringer Truths as my monitors and one of them has unfortunately been damaged somewhat. The woofer's center "bubble" has been puckered in a bit (picture a ding in a car door and you've got the idea) and I just noticed a hairline crack in the cone material. Yikes. :(

To my ears there's no obvious difference in tone, unless I detect a little harshness here and there at higher volumes, but I wonder what people would recommend in terms of repairing the poor thing. I gently removed the housing and the woofer is sealed in such a way that there is no way of popping out that pucker from the back side - can't get to it. The crack in the cone is exposed and I could treat it somehow, but how? My gut instinct is that the cure might be worse than the disease. Is there any sort of super-light epoxy or the like that one could apply, or is it best to leave well enough alone?

If there's no audibable distortion, probably better to leave it alone. However, certain manufacturers do sell driver kits for specific models of speakers.

So for example, if you have a busted High Frequency driver, you'd buy the HF Driver kit and simply follow the instructions listed. I don't suppose it should be more than just unscrewing the cone, unplugging the cables and replacing it with the new one (keeping correct polarity in mind).

Either that or seek advice from a professional (and licensed) speaker repair man.

edit:

Imagine you had a ripped ear drum and what it would sound like when you simply patch it. :D

Last edited:
The dust cap for the voice coil (the center thing) really doesn't do much other than keep dust off the voice coil.

Putting glue on the ripped cone will save you some time before having to get the speaker reconed or replaced. I forget what we used to use - I think it was some kind of rubber cement. Seal both sides of the crack. It might compromise the way the cone vibrates slightly, but if it goes too far it will eventually El Kabong itself.

YMMV - someone might have better suggestions.

Exactly where is the crack?

sl

The crack goes from the dust cap (now I know what that is!) out to about an inch from the outer rim of the woofer. It's just a hairline, really...and I play solo guitar music, so it's not like I drive them too hard.

for the dust cone, you can just use some scotch tape and pull it out. i was amazed at how easy it was to fix when it happened to me.

of course the dust cone is the least of your worries.

ekstasis said:
for the dust cone, you can just use some scotch tape and pull it out. i was amazed at how easy it was to fix when it happened to me.
Hey, why didn't I think of that? Will try it today. Only thing I could think of was to use a wine bottle pump.... :p

Back