What to buy?

David44

Hello everyone,
Looking for some advice from the experts.

Im looking for the best bang for my buck. Understand there is a blalance between the money we spend and the quality we get. My example would be the RNC compressor, as one person said, this is a $2000 compressor for $200 so I got 2. Im looking for equipment with this quality but with budget in mind. Im looking for pre-amps, eq's, mics, cd burners...etc. Should I try to get the mastering equipment myself or leave that to other people with that speciality.

Im looking to get in a position to have the right equipment to get a high quality sound with good advise from people on this site.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

In terms of outstanding bang-for-buck, I'd throw in the following:

* Soundcraft mixers

* Oktava mc012, Marshall mxl 603 small-diaphragm condensers.

* Audio Technica med-diaphragm condensers.

* Sytek, FMR Audio, Grace Design mic pres.

* Anything by Joemeek.

* M-Audio Sound Cards (and AMD Athlon processors).

Bang for the buck:

mics
Marshall mxlv67,mxlv93M,mxl603
Studio Projects C1
Behringer ECM8000
AT ATMPRO25
Radio Shack 30-3032
Shure sm57

preamps
Audio Buddy
Delta DMP3
SP VTB-1
all Joe Meeks

soundcards
Delta 44,66,Audiophile,1010, and 1010 lt
Aardvark Direct Pro series

Mixers
Carvin

Guitars
Yamaha Pacifica
Schecter Diamond series

Compressors
RNC
Behringer Autocom,Composer,Multicom

RNC preamp?

Thanks for all the input. Looking forward to hearing more. The RNC preamp I dont think has been release yet but is scheduled to be out very soon. Any one have any thoughts on this subject. If its as good as the Compressor it might be worth the wait? Im getting some different responses from friends on this thread in lots of areas. I feel Ive made the right choice on the RNC compressors but still not getting a good feel on anything else yet. Thanks for your responses and I look forward to hearing more.

It would be great if there was a survey rating system comparing price to quality on this site to cut through all the chase. The survey could be done by members of this site...Anyway, Just a thought and Im through thinking!

Thanks Again.

Sup Dave! You need to bring your butt to Memphis and do some recording...hurry up!

mics- Oktava MC012/MK319, Studio Projects C1/C3,Shure SM-57, Marshall MXL 603/ V67
FX- TC electronics M300, Lexicon MPX 100/200
preamps-Joemeek twinQ
power amps- Haffler, Carver
Power conditioner-Furman PM-8

Unfortunately, there are some areas where the great cheap deal just isn't there. Cables by Monster, B.L.U.E., and Mogami. Good monitors- KRK, Mackie, etc. Really good acoustic guitars-Gibson, Martin, Taylor, Froggy Bottom, Rain Song.

There are always those things that *you* like, and can use effectively, which do not impress other recorders much. In my case, AKG D690 and AKG C2000B.

Finally, there are those things you admit aren't really cheap, but just rock- Rode NTK, AKG 414 B/ULS, Neumann TLM-103/KSM-184,
Avalon and Great River pres. POD Pro.

Hi, my name is Richie, and I'm a gearaholic...

dammit, you found me out...Im a Carvin plant......

btw, add the Johnson J-Station to my bang for the buck list.....

Back