What to buy?

SkaKid

I'm kinda new to the whole computer recording thing and has some questions...I currently have a SB Audigy Platinum but I was looking into a slightly better sound
I'm trying to keep this whole thing at a decent budget

First, I want to be able to record drums, would you recommend a slightly cheaper soundcard (Delta, etc.) and a mixer or a soundcard with multiple inputs (Terratec Multi-track thing) and software EQ.

Also, what kind of hard drive would be good? If the most tracks I will be recording at one time is the drums (>7,) what speed hard drive should I get? Is an IDE 7200 RPM only used for audio okay or would I need a Firewire or SCSI?

Also, because I'm kind of new to this, I kind of need suggestions. Assuming I get the computer with whatever card and hardrive, what else would I need in the way of amps, EQs, perifials, etc? I'm usually quick to learn tech stuff but I've been having trouble figuring out all the things and what is for computers and what is for workstations.

Any suggestions are welcome, I need a little guidance with all this because, while I want this to sound decent, I don't know what I should be buy (what I need for the decent sound and what would be overkill for personal use, I will start out only using this for my band and a few friends' bands.)

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Well, delta cards are good, Im especially fond of the Delta 1010, and although it used to be that SCSI was the only way to go, with the ultradma 66 and100, they are plenty fast. Mind you, If I had the extra money just lying around, I would go with SCSI, but it is far from neccesary. For effects and EQ you can get by with plug ins, but some decent monitors would be good.

A good thread about what you need is here:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=53588

Save yourself all the trouble and get a digi-001. It comes with a sound card...breakout box...and software...plus plugins(factory) And they are all made by the same company...so they are all compatible. You get your moneys worth.

I will suggest on a modest setup as follows:

A midpriced mobo around 100 to 120.00 {ASUS or ABIT}
1 gig CPU minimum
2 7200 rpm ultra 100 HD's {1 dedicated to audio-40-60gig}
A descent CDRW internal or external
OS/ if PC, XP is the best choice at the present time in my opinion
Soundcard?{24bit} your choice of single stereo inputs & external mixer... or soundcard with interface with multiple ins & outs.
M-Audio has some great gear.{Delta 1010 or Audiophile 24/96}
Software? Too many choices. Stick with the best known performers....Logic Audio, Cubase, Cakewalk, Sonar.

Thanks, I posted near the end here, would this stuff suffice or am I missing something important/have something extra (If some basic computer related thing isn't listed, like vid card, case, moniter, etc., its because I have some old stuff. Also, its on a network so extra a burner isn't necesary.

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&postid=412050#post412050

(Not to be pushy, but reply on that link please :P)
Also, I read Deltas don't work on VIA chipsets (with athlon) so thats why I used an offbrand mobo, there didn't seem to be any on-brand non-VIA that were between 70 and 110. ( I use www.newegg.com for all computer stuff, I've spent over 4 grand there and referred friends, fast/cheap shipping etc., so I didn't look elsewere for a mobo...)

Back