What to believe when shopping for a mic?

Michaelyu5

I'm a newbie and I'm still learning how to use all the entry level stuff I have:
Berringer Eurorack 802A
ART V3 Pre-amp
Cubsis VST for my mac
Tascam 4-track (when I get tired of trying to make the above stuff work)
SM57
NADY cheapo mic
my Martin HD-28

I am reading "The Musicians guide to Home Recording" and I have stopped posting questions here and opted to just read and cruise the posts and I have learned alot of information. My question is still a basic one that you probably get tired of hearing, what mic to buy?
In defense, I have read many of the posts here and I've gone to the websites of the manufactures as well as Musiciansfriend and the problem is, every description makes each microphone walk on water, I just don't know what to believe. The logical answer would be to go out and play with them but I dont have anywhere where I can take my guitar and sit down and play and record to hear the differences you all talk about. So, on a limited budget, $300. bucks and a very specific use in mind (my voice and my Martin, going for a "Ghost of Tom Jode" sound) I have found the following mics in my price range:
AKG C2000B, AT 3035, AT 4040, Rode NT1000, KSM 27, Studio Projects TB1
I'm wondering if anyone could just say one of these is a good start for a guy who probably doesnt hear the subtle differences in the mics anyway. I just know the first advice I received was the SM57 but its not the right one for the guitar or vocals. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks...
Michael

Well, you obviously have done some reading, because all of the mics you have listed are pretty good examples of usable budget mics. At that level, I wouldn't spend $300 on a mic. I'd spend it on 2 or 3. First, I would shake down Guitar Center for a pair of Oktava MC012's for $100. They'll do it, if you are persistent. Then I would buy either the Studio Projects TB-1 or AKG C2000B for a vocal mic. Either combo will put you well under $300, and give you the opportunity to begin to learn how different types of mics, and stereo pairs, are used. Good luck.-Richie

SM57 is an enigmatic mic, because it's an $80 pro studio standard. It's strong point? It will rarely totally suck on anything. It's dirt cheap, and rather reliable. It's weak point? It needs a real good pre to sound good. If your preamps aren't too hot, it wouldn't be my first choice. People are trying to help you, though. The SM57 is one of the pieces of gear your setup will never outgrow.-Richie

Back