what synth or organ for 4AD sounds?

diogo

hello everyone,

im totally new with keyboards and synths, never ever tried one in my life...i have played piano for many years now but never got round to a synth or an organ, believe it or not.

my music revolves around lots of textures, most of them based on guitar distortions, but i wanna be able to add stuff like static, also that waving/windy feel, loooong notes, etc...the kind of thing you would hear in the 80's and 90's from bands on 4AD..

i really dont understand what do i need in order to get this, i dont want to get into sampling or anything like that, i just want something that can deliver these things, and that they're already there - presets or whatever...out of the blue i would risk a synth..if so, wich one (synth or organ)? i wanted to do this really on the cheap, but not without quality...oh, and no plugins or anyhting as well, i have PC rash :D

many thanks in advance for any help u guys might give me..

diogo said:
i wanted to do this really on the cheap, but not without quality...oh, and no plugins or anyhting as well, i have PC rash.
So what you're saying is you want the Cocteau Twins in a box without paying for it...

That's a tall order.

There are a few synths on the used market that have some of the sounds you seek like a Yamaha SY-77 and it's rack version the TG-77. The Roland JD-990 is also a possible choice, as well as the Korg Wavestation series. But as far as the swirling, whirling depth and breadth of sound that was the hallmark of 4AD, IMHO that will never come out of a single synth.

Scientist man..

not exactly the cocteau twins..more dead can dance and this mortal coil...

i will look into the things u recomended....but u say i have to combine two things? what combination would work better? the yamaha goes for pretty cheap...but the others..jesus. :D

tanx!

Last edited:
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Dead Can Dance and This Mortal Coil instead of the Cocteau Twins. That's like trying to tell one shade of gray from another, as they all use the same sonic reference points.

Maybe try a Yamaha S03. It has a good, versatile sound spectrum and I'm sure you'll dig the shit out of the effects...

:D
hahaha lol i loved the yeah yeah yeah ;)

many tanx for the sugestions man..so its the yamaha 77 and this one...ill try the combination..

tanx a lot! ;)

Back