What supplies do you need the most?

Splicit

I got to thinking about why I love the reel to reel supplies business and realized that it's because I enjoy locating a lot of the hard to find things that we all use. Are there any items that you guys would like to see more available at a better price maybe. Items that are hard to come by, etc.
I enjoy locating those types of things and then passing the saving along to fellow recordists. In other words...if we could add a new product (or several) what you like to see? Incidentally, we finally have 1/2" RMGI on it's way!!!

Thanks,
Teresa
Splicit Reel Audio Products
www.splicit.com

Splicit said:
Incidentally, We finally have 1/2" RMGI on it's way!!!

Well that was one thing, so that's good news... :)

Other than that, paper and Mylar leader tape in 1/2"

Also, I don't know if anything can be done about this, but let RMGI know that one of the benefits of the old BASF/EMTEC over AMPEX/Quantegy was the six-screw precision reels. They were part of the reason the tape spooled more evenly than Quantegy. I really miss that and the printing on the back of SM468. Maybe as a distributor your input would carry more weight than individuals.

Another possibility is to source out precision reels if they are still being made somewhere. That way we could buy pancakes and choose the reel we wanted. When I got my first reel of RMGI ½” the first thing I did was spool it onto an old BASF style reel. I hate to say it, but frankly the metal reels RMGI uses are not so good.

I’m sure I’ll think of other things, but these come to mind at the moment.

Thanks for asking!

~Tim :)

Great input!! Thanks. I DO know that RMGI hdqs. in Holland is not getting along very well right now with the Zonal people who make the leader tapes for them. All dealers are backordered on leader and no telling when we'll get it. We have a case of 1/2" x 2500 of SM 911 pancakes coming soon. That was almost like pulling teeth to get. I do have contact with the ONLY manufacturer in the U.S. that makes aluminum reels. We sell their generic NAB metal reels but they are 3 screw flanges. Im sure they will want a small fortune to set up and produce 6 screw flanges but I can ask. How are you fixed for splicing equipment...blocks & splicing tape? I do have a source for those.

Teresa
www.splicit.com

Splicit said:
Great input!! Thanks. I DO know that RMGI hdqs. in Holland is not getting along very well right now with the Zonal people who make the leader tapes for them. All dealers are backordered on leader and no telling when we'll get it. We have a case of 1/2" x 2500 of SM 911 pancakes coming soon. That was almost like pulling teeth to get. I do have contact with the ONLY manufacturer in the U.S. that makes aluminum reels. We sell their generic NAB metal reels but they are 3 screw flanges. Im sure they will want a small fortune to set up and produce 6 screw flanges but I can ask. How are you fixed for splicing equipment...blocks & splicing tape? I do have a source for those.

Teresa
www.splicit.com

A fair priced 1/2" block would be cool. I've seen what some of them go for.

1/2" splicing block

Are you REAL stuck on the 1/2" block being aluminum? They're like price prohibitive!! What if I could get you one made of hardwood for under $30? Think about it a minute....the surface of the block really isnt that important. It's all in the channel and the cut diagonals.

Teresa

Splicit said:
Are you REAL stuck on the 1/2" block being aluminum? They're like price prohibitive!! What if I could get you one made of hardwood for under $30? Think about it a minute....the surface of the block really isnt that important. It's all in the channel and the cut diagonals.

Teresa

Honestly, myself, I still think 30 bucks is too much. But I've seen what they ask for them. I would use wood. Or plastic. My 1/4" one is plastic. Does the wood one hold the tape in place?

Splicing block

Well....ok....I am happy to hear that. The 1/2" Hickory splicing block is a real beauty. 45 and 90 degree cut capability and the groove in the middle of the block is a very "snug" 1/2" which allows the tape to stay in place while you cut and splice. We have these custom made for us in Oregon. I think the price is $24.95 but I'll check. If you're interested in 1 email me offline.

Thanks,
Teresa
splicit@verizon.net
:)

Just for reference, here’s an assortment from my collection of the best precision reels. They are all balanced 6-screw, with thicker aluminum than the standard Quantegy and RMGI.

The top one is the original Scotch precision design, which was also used by BASF. Lower left marked AGFA was last used by EMTEC just before they went bust. Lower right, and probably the best of all is the AMPEX/Quantegy precision reel with a balanced aluminum hub. It’s about 8 ounces heavier than the cheap, thin 3-screw style.

I would guess a lot of people don’t realize what a difference a true precision reel can make, especially in multi-tracking. Standard reels result in a wildly sloppy wind from shuttling back and forth, and pack unevenly during fast wind. It’s not good for the tape, especially the edges.

It’s true that the German tapes had better slitting and thus wound more evenly, but Quantegy’s cheap floppy reel made it even worse than it would have been on a balanced reel. My Quantegy 456 winds smoothly at fast wind on the AMPEX precision reel, but looks a mess when fast wound on the stock reel.

Here’s the rub… how does one keep tape prices down (which are already too high) without skimping on the reel? :(

Attachments

• reels.jpg
    reels.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 140
Beck said:
how does one keep tape prices down (which are already too high) without skimping on the reel? :(

...and that is the 64,000 dollar question but I do agree the stock, thinner 3 screw reels are pretty bad. I actually like my 7" plastic reels much better than the aluminum ones. The plastic, well, it either brakes or keeps everything even but the thin aluminum, especially if it bends, good luck with that! :eek:

May I also add that it's absolutely great that you guys (splicit) try to get a feel for what the consumers actually need by asking direct. Being communicative with the end buyer is essential and I thank you for that. If Quantegy, for example, did exactly what you're doing then I'm sure it'd be still open and about.

I would like to suggest that you always keep some LPR35 stock (I like the 7" reels) as some of the popular TEAC / TASCAM recorders, on this board anyway, do better with the 1mil tape.

Oh and yes, I would also like to echo Tim Beck's post. All good recommendations. :)

SteveM said:
Honestly, myself, I still think 30 bucks is too much. But I've seen what they ask for them. I would use wood. Or plastic. My 1/4" one is plastic. Does the wood one hold the tape in place?
I have a plastic 1/2" block designed for repairing videotape and it was utterly useless, because the razors cut the plastic and destroy the guides. I managed to snag an aluminium one on ebay for about £20, and in all honesty, that was a total bargain. The going rate here is like $120 and THAT's if you can actually find one new :(

The only thing I'm currently stuck for to the point at which I'd contemplate ordering it overseas is 1/2" red leader. I've got about six reels of white, but I can't seem to find a supplier for the red.
Indeed, half of the white was sent to me by ProTape because they couldn't source the red stuff and substituted white long after I'd forgotten I'd even placed the order. Zonal's ebay shop only had green and they haven't offered that for a while either.

Speaking of which I'm curious about the Zonal-RMGI bust-up. The way I see it they are only directly competing in the UK 1/4" market since they don't seem to target the US at all. I'm currently using them a lot for 1/4" although obviously I'm going with RMGI for my 1/2" needs since Zonal aren't making any.

Supplies

Ok...I have sent emails to locate 1/2" leader tape in red and other colors. I believe we'll be successful there. I can also get you good quality and price on splicing tapes. I am also checking on possible availability of precision reels. I personally know one of the sales people at the company that makes (made) aluminum reels for Ampex, Quantegy and others. She will look into this for us. Just for your information, We currently have in stock the following RMGI tape:
SM 900 1/4 x 2500 plastic reel
SM 911 1/4x 1200
SM 911 1/4x 2500 NAB Alum. reel
SM 911 1/4x 2500 on hub (pancake)

LPR35 1/4 x 1800 7" reel is on it's way.
SM 911 1/2 x 2500 on hub is on it's way.

Thanks to you all for your input. I will continue to search for and bring you the best items and prices I can.

Teresa
www.splicit.com

Is the SM911 on hubs that accomodate only the six screw flanges, or will they fit a three screw flange as well? (I have a nearby source of real cheap 3 screw flanges)

I eyeballed the two, and it seems like a six screw hub should fit a three screw flange...does that seem right?

I've been using my six screw flanges on three screw hubs that come with pancakes...but I don't like it, so I roll them onto six screw hubs and flanges afterwards.
Hey, BTW, splicit..do you guys take paypal? I need some 1/4" red leader and some 911 when you can..
EDIT:yes, you take paypal..I'm stupid tonight...

hatbeardglasses said:
Is the SM911 on hubs that accomodate only the six screw flanges, or will they fit a three screw flange as well? (I have a nearby source of real cheap 3 screw flanges)

I eyeballed the two, and it seems like a six screw hub should fit a three screw flange...does that seem right?

The RMGI SM911 hubs and flanges are currently 3-screw. AGFA, BASF and EMTEC used 6-screw precision reels. That's the one thing that's changed with RMGI. :(

I know it sounds screwy, but you can’t put 6-screw flanges on 3-screw NAB hubs. They are completely different designs. It’s not simply 3 additional screws, but a different way the flanges and hubs go together.

All of the 6-scew hubs and reels in my pics above are interchangeable, but no worky with 3-screw hubs. If you only have 3-screw hubs and 6-screw flanges... you're screwed. :)

Last edited:
Beck said:
The RMGI SM911 hubs and flanges are currently 3-screw. AGFA, BASF and EMTEC used 6-screw precision reels. That's the one thing that's changed with RMGI. :(
Interesting. I'll admit I've only got four proper BASF spools, and no EMTEC ones, but all of mine are 3-screw.

The last few reels of 1/2 inch EMTEC 911 I purchased before they went bust also had a plastic strap with velcro on the ends. This strap (band) went around the reel to hold the tape in place for storage. I kinda liked that idea better then using some hold down tape. I don't know if EMTEC also put that with their 1/4 inch tape. The only RMG I have purchased so far is one inch and it did not come with the plastic hold down strap. It does come on a six screw flange and hub but I guess with the weight of one inch that would be almost mandatory. Regards, Dave

Red Leader tape

Well guys...just to let you know...red leader tape is extremely difficult to come by. As an RMGI dealer, I am really disppointed that things are not working well between RMGI in Holland the Zonal folks who make the leader for them. Im trying a source in Germany for other leader so we'll see. Also...I am still waiting to hear from my contact regarding 6 screw precision aluminum reels. Nothing yet. When you are a small dealer like us it's tough to get and carry all of the tape product. I think I mentioned that 1/2" is ordered and we'll have it shortly. LPR35 will be here any day. I have 900 in stock on 10" plastic reels. 911 in stock 1/4" pancakes, and 911 1/4" on aluminum reels. We are really trying our best to keep prices down. Thanks again for your input. We'll give you an update soon.

Teresa
www.splicit.com

I've managed to get hold of a couple of 1/2" 6 screw precision reels as suggested on here to ensure better winding & tape packing.

One is a Emtec (Emtec by BASF written on the box 'circa '96) SM911 & the other is an old Ampex 1/2" reel which came in a beige plastic coated cardboard box, I think the Ampex is quite old because I've never seen this design before?

Both these reels I have look very similar to Becks attached picture further back in this thread. The Ampex reel is actually quite heavy even compared to the Emtec precision reel & certainly nothing like the usual flimsy 3 screw Ampex / Quantegy reels!

They do make a very noticable difference to tape handling though.

Yes, I agree. I have the 6 screw Ampex one. Agreed, it makes the 3 screw design look and feel flimsy by comparison, a substandard design.

---

Back