What soundcard is best for me?

psmith66

I realize that this has probably been asked before (just can't find anything via cursory search of forum), but here goes.

I have a crappy soundcard (it's a C-Media with flaky inputs/outputs). I'd prefer to get a soundcard with 2 line-in's and 2 line-outs (not as crucial as the line-in's - one line-out would meet minimum requirement). Although not a must, a break-out box with 1/4" would be preferable. And of course sound quality is important. Since I do this solely as a hobby, $$$ would be a factor.

Any suggestions?

Well, I'd suggest something you can afford that purports to provide good quality with 2in's and 2 out's.
Hope this wasn't too technical.

Lambo,

I remember when I was a kid, I asked a professional guitar player if he could recommend a good quality six string acoustic guitar for under $1,000, as I was new to playing and not knowledgable about brand names, companies, etc. He advised that I should definitely consider quality and that I shouldn't spend more than $1,000. Oh yeah, he also suggested that the guitar be acoustic and made primarily of wood.

I am optimistic that your advice will help me at least as much as his did.

Perhaps you meant that all soundcards with 2 in's and 2 out's are of the same quality????????? And they all cost the same????????

PSmith- HAHA! I think that is the nicest way to "diss" someone that I have seen.

As far as you soundcard goes you do have a few options. First off, how much are you looking to spend? Remember, I am in the U.S. so if you can convert your "funny money" or to "real money" that would be great ;). Just Kiddin

PSmith,
Echo Audio makes a new sound card called Mia. It does not have a breakout box but does have two 1/4 ins and two 1/4 outs. it is 24 bit and also has a digital in and out. the website doesnt say anything about the price except that it is less than $250. I have never used this card but my echo layla is nice and they are a respectable company.

hope this helps
-Carter

almost forgot, the website is www.echoaudio.com

I was figuring that the Delta 44 was more in the neighbourhood of $500 - $700. I'd love to find one for less though (GeddGadd - please let me know if you aware of a cheaper "source"). If not, then I'll definitely have a look at the Echo Audio Mia.

Great stuff - thanks for the info.

for 500-700 you can get a really good card. might wanna check out the direct pro of aardvark. 4i/o with preamps and a respected company oh and some effects onboard dsp!

for like 500 i believe, anyone know the exact price?

guhlenn

ps yeah you really handled that polite man... you didn't even get abusive! good ! :D

the Delta 44 is much lower than the $500-$700 range, I have heard that musicians friend has them on sale for about $280 right now but I have not confirmed this.

psmith66,

Loved that guitar recommendation story...

I have some questions about your sound card needs: do you need just a straight recording interface, or do you need it to be a MIDI instrument and/or a MIDI interface as well?

I also wondered why one line out would satisfy your minimum requiement -- not that you'll find anything with less than a pair of outputs, but I'm curious.

-AlChuck

Been away from the PC for a couple of days - pleasant surprise to find all the info - thanks to everyone, I'm armed with several leads.

AlChuck, I haven't yet gotten into MIDI but I think it's just around the corner - so I'll want a card that'll handle that side of it. As for the one out, I've rethought it and really do need two outs (I've got to start thinking beyond the limitations of my existing setup). My existing cheapo card only has a single out.

If you need a single solution for audio recording that has a MIDI interface and also an on-board synthesizer, there aren't many choices. At the lower end ($50-100) are the Turtle Beach Montego II or Santa Cruz, and the Creative SoundBlaster Live. There's a few others in the middle range, and then the Creamware Pulsar for $1200 or thereabouts.

The SB Live and Montego cards actually are pretty damn decent considering the price. They have somewhat noisy analog-to-digital converters compared to the other audio interfaces mentioned, but they have a useable MIDI interface and the synths support loading of alternative sound sets. The Live card uses Sound Fonts, the Turtle Beach uses DLS sounds, but with this capability these cards really shine for the price.

When you say "my existing cheapo card only has a single out," it might have a single Line Out jack -- but this is almost certainly a stereo jack, like the headphone jacks on Walkman-type radios andCD players and such. It requires a TRS stereo plug (again, just like the plug on the end of a pair of standard Walkman-type headphones) to get both signals out of it. You can get a cable with a 1/8" miniplug stereo on one end to a pair of RCA or 1/4" plugs on the other.

If I don't buy the Delta 44, I'll regret it a few months down the road when I begin to figure out what I'm doing. So that's it - the Delta 44 or nothing. Just gotta find the $$$ and convince my beautiful, angelic, understanding wife..................

Hey PSmith. If you really cannot afford the Delta take a look at the M-Audio Audiophile. It basically has the same guts as a Delta 44 just without the breakout box.

Go to ww.M-Audio.com

You should also consider the Aardvark Direct Pro LX-6. Has a headphone output in addition to MIDI which are both really nice to have. The price is to feature ratio makes this card a major contender.

Back