What Software?

gtrplayer_1966

Hi all...

I have a Fostex VF80 digital recorder and also have a delta66 with an Omni i/o box.

From what I've read....moving to use just the computer will give me more control of my sound etc... and/or integrate the foxtex etc..

My question is what software is good to start with?

I have Homestudio 2004, but it seems that you need a PhD in Computer Science and Music Theory to understand things...

I would like to start by having the ability to do a guitar track, vocal track, bass track and drum track and then go from there.

Having used the Fostex digital 8track, I'm familiar with using different tracks etc.. but have run out of tracks and have limited effect ability for each track on the mix down etc... This is one reason I would like to go to the computer with my music and the Delta66 and omni i/o.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Most of the full-featured programs out there are a challenge to learn and sometimes it takes months (or years) to master everything. The good news is that while you will get frustrated, you'll never run out of things to learn!
The best thing to do is download software demos and take a stab at several programs until you find an interface that clicks. I began with Cubase VST 5.0 but never really felt comfortable using it. I then started from scratch using MOTU's AudioDesk--a free piece of software that comes bundled (for Mac only) with the MOTU 828 inteface. Since then, I moved on to Digital Performer which is basically an upscale version of AudioDesk with MIDI capabilities. So, in addition, to trying demo software, you might look at some of the free (bundled) or limited edition software packages like Cubase LE, ProTools LE, etc. They have fewer features (and fewer complications) and you can usually make the jump to the real deal somwehere down the road.

ok...so lets stick with HOme studio 04 that I have for now.

How do I get it to recognize my delta 66???????????????? IT finds NO sound card.

I'm about as new to this as they come, but I'm using Cakewalk Sonar 4 Producer and Cakewalk Guitar Pro 3.

Sonar 4 confuses the hell out of me at the moment, but I've found Guitar Pro to be pretty useful and relatively intuitive. I see limitations with Guitar Pro for future work, but for my present needs of simply learning how to record, it seems to be a decent stepping stone on the way to learning some of the more advanced programs (I'm hoping).

Back