What should we do?

emomusician

scrap it and start over?

or what.

recorded with a firepod.. 6 mics on drums. sm57 on snare, 2 cheap behringer overhead condensors, beta58 on kick, audio technica dynamics on the toms (not sure of model).

this is not mixed at all.. I just noticed the kick is way too loud.. so it sounds all clicky.

I'm gonna be using drumagog and some samples, to MIX in with the real drums (not completely replacing). Probably just kick and snare. Maybe just snare... who knows yet.

Guitars recorded through a AVT100 Marshall (solid state), with a sm57 and the beta58. as well as a Mesa Boogie dual rec.. with the same mics.

#1.. I want to know what we can do to make the guitars sound better..
#2.. How bad is the drumming?
#3.. overall what do we need to do to make this sound better.

here is the link.. sorry that its myspace.. but there are no decent hosting sites left.. (that i have found)

www.myspace.com/blackflightstudios

thanks!

I'm not sure how you mic'd that kick, but it sounds weird as hell, and it also sounds like it's clipping. I'm also not hearing much of the cymbals at all. Maybe bring the overheads closer? Also, the snare like someone is just snapping into a microphone. The guitar recording sounds pretty decent. I'm not hearing any bass though.

Keep at it!

I'd scrap it. I couldn't get through the whole song. Sounds like somebody drumming out of time on the mic with a pencil.

It really sounds like clipping. Record with your levels around -18db and see if it makes a difference. Record the drums again. That is not easy to work with. Try to make it not clip.

Sorry man, but I have to agree with the rest of guys in here:

1. Kick drum is SHIT... Need to be recorded again.
2. Snare drum is SHIT... Need to be recorded again

Big problem is your mixing LOUD! It's all clipping. Try to record the drum again. Make the kick sound like a kick.., then you can apply some EQ to add a little click and thud. About the snare... Id' recommend to record top and bottom snare so you can balance the sound in the final mix.

Guitars sound pretty decent. Maybe some little boost in the highs and lowering the mid range will make them more interesting.

Keep us informed.

Just sample replace ALL the drums. The cymbals may be OK.

However, the timing issues are terrible, as stated above.

Just sample replace ALL the drums.

Yep....nothing wrong with that - no matter what the old hippies :p say about "feeling of the room" and "capturing the essence of the drummer in his artistic moment" and all that crap.

You can't fix digital distortion, which seems to be your problem here, but you can replace distorted drums with beautiful, pristine, sexy samples. :cool:

Back