What should I purchase first after Sonar

wanderingbard

I am running a HP 1.73GHZ computer with 512 MB of RAM and Basic computer soundcard VIA AC'97 AUDIO which has a single jack in the back.

I just bought sonar producer. I know it is an awesome program for what I want to do. I have been playing keyboards/piano for about 27 years. I compose on the fly most of the time---I make classical---Jazz---Latin---Celtic---Bluegrass---goth-techno--Opera---as well as comercial jingle music to support my more creative endeavors.

Like most everyone out there, I am on a budget. I want to create a lot of CDs because there are a lot of concerts that I will be playing in this summer/fall and I think I can get some CDs sold. The type of music on my first CD will be in Celtic, Middle Eastern, Classical, and Folk Styles of music. It will have my voice solos on it as well.

I have been told that to make good quality CDs I needed Sonar producer and a few other things including a better soundcard, Cables, Microphone, Headphones, and monitors.

With only about 450.00 left to spend, I have been told to buy the Firewire 410 soundcard and go for a cheaper MIC, Headphones, Cables, and Monitors.

I was told that of those items, the firewire 410 is the best thing to spend the big cash on and to go cheap on the monitor, headphones and cables until I get more moolah.

I hear that firewire costs about 300.00 and since my computer does not have a firewire slot, I would need to purchase a firewire card to stick in my computer as well which would run about another 30.00.

If this is a good idea to splurge on the card and go cheap on the rest of the stuff, please let me know. I worry that the souondcard will become obsolete. I figure that if I can grab a little cash from some gigs, CDs sold, and jingles I can get a better mic, monitors, headphones, and cables at a later date.

If that is a good idea, what monitors I could purchase for under 50-75 dollars. Also, does monitor quality affect the recording quality?

I can probably borrow a mic and headphones from a friend in the meantime.

All your replies and help is greatly appreciated.

Yours truly

Wanderingbard in Watertown, NY

First things first - stock up on canned goods, you're gonna need to eat from time to time...

The soundcard you choose will really depend on how you intend to record. If you want to record multiple tracks then obviously you will need a soundcard with multi I/O 's. If you intend to just do one track at a time, then a single stereo input and output is all you need.

I would suggest getting a basic 24/96 audio card something like the audiophile. If you are having to open your machine to put a firewire card in then I would just get a PCI Audiophile 24/96. Cheaper and more reliable than the firewire version.

I wouldn't skimp on the Mic too much, after all it is going to be the first point of input so there is no point in your recording being poor quality from the start. Even a top notch soundcard can't improve the quality on a cheap mic. Maybe a Samson C01.

You will also need a preamp for your mic and phantom power if it is a condensor mic like the Samson. I would suggest a small mixer like in the Behringer UB range.

Headphones are not to important, they are only for monitoring whilst recording.

Cheap monitors are a different thing. You could monitor with a hi fi but it will colour sound and can reflect in the end product. Look at something like the Edirol MA10 monitors. They are only 10 watt and designed for use as Nearfield monitors but if you can make a mix sound good on them it will sound good on anything.

So you are looking at.

Audiphile 24/96 $150
Samson C01 $75
Behringer Mixer $75
Headphones $50
Edirol MA10's $100

That's your $450 spent the best way I can think of to get best value and quality. If you get any change spend it on cables. The prices are approx because I am converting from what I would spend on them in the UK. If you visit the sites you will get a US price for them.

When you get some more cash together you can look at mastering plugins or software to get a more polished CD.

Why spend $300 on a Firewire interface when you're not even working on a laptop?

A PCI card will work just as well and be cheaper.

However, if you want to do any video work, a Firewire port is pretty necessary to tranfer digital video, so a Firewire card for your PC might be a good investment.

Then you could indeed get a Firewire audio interface if you want, which you could later move around from your desktop setup to a laptop if you want, should a portable live recording rig be in your future plans.

How soon do you project that you'll have more money to spend? A couple months? A year? Indefinitely?

good monitors are vital and often overlooked. I think you could find a cheaper interface of equal quality to the 410. I doubt you'll need firewire for anything anytime soon.

wanderingbard said:
The type of music on my first CD will be in Celtic, Middle Eastern, Classical, and Folk Styles of music. It will have my voice solos on it as well.

You NEED to post your sample on the clinic!!!!! :D :D :D I like those genres, and love to hear yours :)

wanderingbard said:
I have been told that to make good quality CDs I needed Sonar producer and a few other things including a better soundcard, Cables, Microphone, Headphones, and monitors.

You're almost heading right direction here :) Assuming you can borrow mic meanwhile, then good soundcard is a must along with good pre-amp! DEKAmusic has given you some hints. I'd rather take Audiophile 24/96 instead of 410, budget wise.

wanderingbard said:
If that is a good idea, what monitors I could purchase for under 50-75 dollars. Also, does monitor quality affect the recording quality?

I never heard "good monitor" under $150. Not even on ebay. How can you hear good quality recording using low end monitor? However, it's okay to take pair of cheaper where you can upgrade later :) Just don't underestimate monitors and mixing environment (room and acoustic wise) if you wanna make a good mix :)

;)
Jaymz

the firewire 410 has so many features

dual headphone output multiple inputs- more features than omni and cheaper (when o bought mine) if your going to record acoustic with other person the headphone feature is in valuable

dude ...get the best sounding condenser mic you can afford...leaving enough for a small mixer with some effects...verb chorus etc....unless your voice is awesome....even if it is...you will want to have something on it while recording...just a little at least...maybe not on the track, but for your monitor in your cans...most mixers have phantom power also..my beringer half broke after 3-4 months....do not want to send back...they will have it forever i think....see if your sound card has some effects..mine does and i use it for my monitor effects..thsy do not record that way....good luck.....

Hmmmmmm....

You will need to make a decision on your next piece of gear.

The two most important parts of any setup is your AD/DA conversion (soundcard) and the perception of your AD/DA conversion (monitors).

Normally I would suggest that you get good monitors first.
But taking into consideration that you won't be able to record your instruments without a new interface, I'll recommend that you get the soundcard first.

You should consider getting a PCI soundcard interface, instead of the Firewire soundcard interface.

To start out look at the M-Audio Audiophile

http://www.midiman.net/index.php?do=products.main&ID=adf95efc30b88aba043fa8b83343bfb8

You can pick up a Shure SM57 mic for about an hundred dollars.

Save up $200.00 more dollars to add to the $100.00 dollars that you have left. Then......

Do a search on EBAY for a pair of [/b]Alesis M1 Acitve MKII's[/i] (NOTE: not the Monitor1 MKII's).

This is a picture (and specs) of the Alesis M1 Acitve MKII's:

http://alesis.com/products/m1active/

I can not stress how important and imperative it is that you buy good monitors.

I will let someone else expound on the imporatnce of good monitors. :cool:

spin

Back