what should i do?

drumboi

i'm having trouble deciding what interface i should get for recording. as of now, i'm using a $10 mic plugged into the mic in of my computer. after about 1 1/2 years of this, i think it's time for some change. i'm trying to decide between purchasing a firewire interface (firepod, firebox) or a mixer/pci based interface (behringer mixer, audiophile 2496). the ability to manipulate 8 individual tracks on the computer makes me lean towards firewire, but i still like to control faders and such. is there any middle ground? the closest i've come is the mackie 1220 +firewire, but the firewire output is pre-fader, pre-eq, etc. which causes all the faders and eq knobs to be useless when transferring to a computer. what are your opinions? what are the pros and cons of firewire and mixer/pci based DAWs? thanks.

Go with a firewire interface. You can always add EQ and effects later, which is generally better, because then you don't paint yourself into a corner. Plus, I like having as much stuff as possible rackmounted. But that's just me.

Back