What should I do with this Roxul??

The big deciding factor for me between fiberglass and roxul is the rigid fiberglass is not rated flame retardant so I feel better using roxul when I'm hanging treatments up for good.

Roxul is flame resistant. Big difference. According to the manufacturer's site, it has a high melting point.

Roxul is flame resistant. Big difference. According to the manufacturer's site, it has a high melting point.

I watched an in-store demo on the product when it first started to appear on the market. Guy showed us the bread knife cutting technique, and most interestingly, the fire resistance. He took a butylene torch to the bare product and just held it there. It didn't even scar the product. It definitely has merits in that regard for creating fire breaks (mainly in wall cavities though. Stand alone panels hung on a wall aren't going to do much to stop a fire from spreading. Fire likes to go upwards.

I will admit that the product works well for absorbtion panels, and I certainly used it this way. However I also sealed my music room with the stuff too. It is in all the walls and the ceiling between the room and the main floor of the house.

That was my understanding, in the past I did a whole dropped ceiling with the fiberglass, with regular tile to support the lighting. Sounded great but now your whole ceiling in flamable. Over time you start to wonder if it was a good idea.

WOA! guys! STOP right here!

Where in the world did you hear that fiberglass is flammable?

Fiberglass or Glass wool is made from SAND... Just like Glass. ok?

Rock Wool is made from a different 'rock', called Basalt.

NOW, if your house catches on fire and get SOOOO hot, it 'MIGHT' melt the fiberglass or rock wool.

This stuff will have NOTHING to do with starting or helping a fire. - I think someone has confused Fiberglass with cotton-candy. Now, cotton-candy IS flammable because it's made from a combustible; Sugar.

Cheers,
John

WOA! guys! STOP right here!

Where in the world did you hear that fiberglass is flammable?

Fiberglass or Glass wool is made from SAND... Just like Glass. ok?

Rock Wool is made from a different 'rock', called Basalt.

NOW, if your house catches on fire and get SOOOO hot, it 'MIGHT' melt the fiberglass or rock wool.

This stuff will have NOTHING to do with starting or helping a fire. - I think someone has confused Fiberglass with cotton-candy. Now, cotton-candy IS flammable because it's made from a combustible; Sugar.

Cheers,
John

I was mainly talking about the term fire resistant verses fire retardant. They are not the same terms. That is the point I was making.

Good to know, when the fire burns away the burlap and 1x4's on my bass traps, I'll still have the Roxul! And a little pile of staples, too, I guess. :rolleyes:

Back