What should I buy?

ricvenus

I am a novice at home recording. I currently have a Portastudio 02 and while it has been
fun making recordings with it, I now require
more sophistication. I am considering a 424mkIII or a Fostex x-34. Can you bounce
tracks on the 424. And can someone explain "ping-ponging" to me in a simple manner.
I appreciate all replies.

if you are asking if you can bounce tracks you obviously know what ping ponging is since they are one and the same. question answered?

Yes you can bounce (pingpong) on the 424.

To bounce, you record 2 or 3 tracks. Leave at least on track open. Then you put the leftover track on bus, pan everything hard left or right, and hit record. When you're done you have 3 tracks onto one.

The problem is that it degrades the sound.

Also if you bounce and then record over the original tracks and then decide that ___ was too loud on the bounced track, you're screwed. A track made up of bounced tracks is a composite.

More simply, record up to 3 tracks, then stick them all on the fourth. Now you have 3 new tracks.

BTW, can't you bounce on the Porta 2?

I would not buy a tascam 424Mk3,it's made in china.But then again, I would'nt spend 500.00 on anything made in china.How serious are you about recording? thats the main issue.If you want to keep it simple and learn as you go,a nice 488MK2 could be had on ebay for about the same price as a new 424.it makes nice sounding tapes on a budget.cassettes are cheap and it's easy to use. just make sure that the seller has a good feedback rating

Back