What should I buy

travisbarker956

Okay I want to purchase a 4 track or an 8 track to do some home recordings of me n my bands. I have no job so money for me is limited i dont want to spend more then 300.
I have alot of questions so ill just ask them

1. Should i get a cassette or a digital?

2. If i go cassette how can i get the tape to a cd?

3. If i go digital how big of a drive do i need?

The ones im lookin in to now are the
Fostex MR-8($250)
TASCAM DP-01 Digital 8-Track Portastudio($299)
Korg CR-4 Four-Track Cassette Recorder($199)
Fostex X-12 4-Track Cassette Recorder($99)
TASCAM MF-P01 4-Track Portastudio($99)

Which one is worth the money and will get the job done
I just want to make demos that are on cds for me n other local bands.

Please help.
Thank you

If you want to record bands, then you're best to stay away from the Tascam MF-P01 and the Fostex X-12, because these units have only one input and record one track at a time. Actually, I've discovered that the MF-P01 will record 2-tracks simultaneously, but unfortunately they'll be the same identical mono track, so it's really no help.

The Korg CR-4 is a unique offering in cassette multitrackers. The CR-4 will record up to 4-tracks simultaneously, and has (4) 1/4" input jacks, plus it has an array of built in guitar effects and some sort of proprietary noise reduction, that's neither Dolby nor Dbx, to the best of my knowledge. To top it all off, the CR-4 has built-in SPEAKERS,... much along the lines of a midline BOOMBOX. It's a strange combination of features, but it would suffice if you wanted to record a band. I've not touched or heard the CR-4 in person, but I've seen the demo (online) and have read all the specs at online retailers such as Zzounds. Although it has (4) inputs, there's not any front-end mixer to speak of,... just input-to-track architecture, so it rules out any sort of moderately sophisticated pre-mixing. However, the 4-track playback mixing is to stereo, as you might expect. The Korg CR-4 is indeed a unique beast, but I'd not get one or recommend getting one, as there are other better and more capable 4-track cassette recorders out there.

The Fostex MR-8 is attractive at that low blowout price, but it lacks some features and capabilities that make it a prime choice for recording bands. To start, the MR-8 will only record 2-tracks simultaneously, which is limiting when you want to record the whole band. Also, the CF cards have such a short record time, that you're obliged to run & dump data to your 'puter at almost every turn. It's not very suitable for recording bands or longer sessions, at all. As a sketchpad and solo recording, it's just okay.

Before popping for the MR-8 at discounted prices, you may want to consider the MR-8HD, which brings 4-simul and hard-disc recording capability, at not much more money than the MR-8. The "standard" MR-8 was often known as "the red devil", and I think for good reason. Reviews I've heard of the MR-8HD have been much more favorable, overall.

The Tascam DP-01/fx/cd is another HD 8-tracker only has 2-inputs and only records 2-tracks simultaneously/max, which (again) is limiting when you want to record the whole band at once.

The MR-8, MR-8HD and DP-01/fx/cd recorders each do not have any front-end mixer to speak of, but simple input-to-track architecture. This (IMO) is a limiting factor on your productions. Playback mixing is from 8-tracks to stereo, and each of these recorders offers USB to aid in moving data to/from your recorder and 'puter. I don't think I'd recommend either the MR-8 or DP-01/fx/cd if your intention is to record bands. However, the MR-8HD would be a pretty decent choice for recording bands, if you're inclined to go that way.

Two other mainstream units, the Tascam 424mkIII and 414mkII, are 4-track cassette Portastudios that offer 4-simul recording and fairly good mixer sections, that are in a whole other class than any of the units mentioned above. The mixer on these units may be used for pre-mixing in the recording stage, as well as the obvious playback mixing for final mixdown. The mixer on the 424mkIII sports 6-full mixer strips, nice EQ and AUX/Effect routing to accommodate live band recordings very nicely. The 414mkII has 4-full mixer strips, and is slightly more stripped than the 424mkIII. The 424mkIII just went obsolete and cannot be purchased new at retailers any more, but they may be had off of Ebay in good condition and for reasonable prices. The 414mkII may still be purchased brand new from retailers.

There are other more highly capable cassette Portastudios that would be fine in my book, such as the Tascam 244, 246, 644 and 424mkII. The 244 & 246 are vintage 80's Portastudios, which have good features and capability,... especially the 246 which is topline vintage gear. The 644 is about a 1992 vintage design, and it's pretty sophisticated, with an awesome 8-channel mixer, electronic routing and switching, and built in midi-sync (which is something that most people won't use). The 424mkII is a vintage '97 design, which is quite nice, and is just 2-channels less than the 424mkIII, but is otherwise comparable to the 424mkIII. These units would obviously be used/Ebay items, but they may often be found in excellent working order and in like-new condition.

Of the cassette units I've mentioned, besides what I've already said, I wanted to point out that something along the lines of the Tascam 424mkIII, 424mkII, 414mkII, 644, 246 & 244 are all double-speed recorders, which brings a noticeable boost to the fidelity you could expect from these units, as well as each sporting dbx noise reduction, which virtually eliminates residual tape hiss. F/I, the MF-P01 is a single-speed/no-noise reduction unit, as is the Fostex X-12. The Korg CR-4 is a single speed cassette unit, with some sort of proprietary noise reduction. A double-speed/dbx type of multitrack recording will sound substantially better than a single-speed/No-NR recording.

Any 4-track recording from the likes of a 4-track Portastudio may be mixed onboard and recorded in stereo onto the 'puter, and a cd produced of the mix as a final result. That part's relatively easy.

That would probably cover it, for now. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
thanks for the help the only things i dont really need the 4 tracks to all record same time i only have access to two mics at the time and i want to basically record the guitar then drums then vocals and on and on all seperate and i think the dp is good for that im not sure though whats your take on it that way

In that case,...

the Tascam DP-01 should do the trick, in the most basic sense!

However, for about the same money you could have the MR-8HD, which records 4-simul and gives you (4) XLR mic inputs with phantom power.

If it was only between the DP-01(std) and the MR-8HD, I'd have to favor the MR-8HD.

The DP-01(std) has (2) 1/4" input jacks (for about $400). The DP-01fx gives you XLR inputs w/phantom power for $100 uplift (~$500), and the DP-01fx/cd gives you all that plus an onboard cd burner, for an additional $100 uplift (~$600).

I know you just stated that 2-simul recording is adequate, and 4-simul recording is really not needed, but I'd always tend to go for more simultaneous recording tracks than less, so as not to limit your future productions, as you grow into the unit. You have to think of the future sometimes, when considering a recording device, so you don't limit yourself and have to buy a more highly capable device a couple years down the road.

Consider that for about $400, you can get the DP-01(std) or the MR-8HD. The DP- gives you "knobs" for EQ and Pan functions, but the MR-8HD gives you XLR's w/phantom and 4-track/simul recording capability. The "knobs" section on the DP- is an attractive feature, and I'll give'ya that point.

The 2-track/simul/max recording limit is something that vexxes me to no end. I'd not consider a 1-track/simul/max (MF-P01/X -12) or 2-track/simul/max (DP-01/fx/cd & MR-8) as my primary recorder, but as a secondary or spare recorder,... okay. In general my favorite 4-trackers record 4-tracks/simul, and my favorite 8-trackers record 8-tracks/simul.

As for myself, I already have every high end and low end Tascam Portastudio, plus a vintage digital Fostex or two, plus loads of mixers and reel-reel recorders, that suit me fine. I'm not the typical case. I'm not limited by budget. If I like something, for whatever reason, I just get it. I buy on features/price value combination. Of all the devices YOU've mentioned, I'd tend most toward buying the MR-8HD. However, I have way too much gear already & shouldn't consider buying anything else for a long, long while.

Enough about me. Sorry if I run-on & I am biased, no doubt.

Admittedly, it's a tough choice.

People who actually have the DP-01 love it, if that's anything to'ya.

Good luck.

Last edited:
thanks so much for the help

I saw on musciansfriend ppl said the harddrive on the dp can crash but i also saw someone saying just plug into a surge protector dont make any static eletricty(not on a carpet) And shut it off properly and it will last

do you know anything about the hardrive being good or not?

That's something I can't comment on.

I'd look into and trust actual users' comments on that.

There are many choices and factors to consider.;)

Sure!

Someone else will come along very shortly and offer alternate opinions to mine, from an entirely different point of view, I assure you!
;)

go digital- analog sucks and will be obsolete soon!

just kidding- reel person is absolutely right. cassettes rock.

Back