What programs support simultaneous multi-tracking?

Kore

Hi, I'm a newb. I currently use Audition, and am thinking of getting an Delta 66, but am not sure if Audition supports recording to different tracks from different channels simultaneously. I'm also interested in what other programs would support this.

I currently have a 6 channel mixer, which is fine for doing basic, lo-fi drums recording, but I have to mix it to 2 stereo channels before I input into my computer. I would much prefer to do separate channel mixing post-recording, and to do this, of course, I need to record each input to a different track. What sound card/sound drivers/programs support this and are compatible with each other?

Thanks for your help.

Kore

Hi Kore,

Well its all a part of trying them all out really. Considering music software can run into the hundreds of pounds, i would highly suggest you seek out some way of testing the programmes hands on. Personally, i use Cubase SX which has everything i want, including be able to handle simultaneous recording. Cubase also do a "watered" down version of SX which retails at around £80 ( Cubase SE) which i think would be a wise choice for you. But like i said, try and give them all a try and see which you prefer. (Might also want to have a look at Logic, Ableton Live, Cakewalk and Cubase^)

Regarding Soundcards, The Delta 66 is a good overall sound card, and sounds perfect for what your wanting to do.

Hope this helps you a little bit on your way,

Good luck!!

Peace :cool:

Don't forget N-Track. About $60. I've been using it for years with my Delta 44, can record multiple tracks no problem (provided your PC can handle it)

Okay, then. . . what programs DO NOT allow simultaneous multitrack recording?

AND, what is the REAL term for the one I made up: "simultaneous multitrack recording"--this would make it easier for me to do searches.

Kore said:
Okay, then. . . what programs DO NOT allow simultaneous multitrack recording?

AND, what is the REAL term for the one I made up: "simultaneous multitrack recording"--this would make it easier for me to do searches.

Personally, most programmes i know of can record multiple tracks at a time, if they didnt, they wouldnt be the best piece of software. I cant actually name a piece of software that doesnt do it...

Regarding the term for "simultaneous multi track recording"... I would suggest its "multi track recording", although i call it that, other people may not do. So this post hasnt been the most educational for you, i apologise.

Peace :rolleyes:

Acid can only record one track at a time, though that program is meant more for loop-based material anyway.

Exactly what mixer are you using? I'm guessing it doesn't have inserts on the channels. You're probably going to need to upgrade your mixer to get independent outs to the soundcard.

Back