What Pickups For Strat

Gabriel_0

I picked up this gem MIM Fender Strat from GC the other Day. It's a SE Ash body with rosewood fretboard. This thing is absolutely flawless, I feel very lucky. But I'm finding the ceramic pickups a bit to modern/bright for my liking (I bought this guitar mostly for blues, rock/blues type of playing). I realize that ash is used mostly for getting a brighter sound but I'd like to tone it down a bit and get a more vintage original strat sound out of it aka Hendrix/Gilmour/Keith Wyatt. I know Gilmour uses EMGs now but I actually preffered his sound more before he switched to them.
Any suggestions to what I should swap them out for?

I bought some Kinmans (Woodstock version) for my MiM Strat and am very happy. They are noiseless and have all that old timely chime I like. The neck pickup sounds great for bluesy sounds.

I alos performed the wiring mod suggested on the web site. It turns one of your tone pots into a 'blend pot'. You use it to mix a little neck pickup into whatever combination you have the pickup switch set to.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I'll check those Kinmans and Fralin Vintage Hots out. A music store in my area installs pickups for free as long as you buy the pickups from them. Can't beat that :)

Any other suggestions while i'm still looking?

TIA
Gabriel

Back