What one bass effects pedal would you recommend for recording???

I can vouch for the Tech 21 VT Bass Deluxe.

I don't know about that one on bass, but if you say it's good I'll take your word for it. I did, however, see a youtube video of a guy doing a demo of that using a guitar, a Telecaster I believe, and it totally nailed the Keith Richards tone. So, there's one that does double duty, if that's what you want.

Again thank you all for you suggestions and insight from your many years of experience. I haven't played bass since 1970 so I am not very well informed on all subjects bass.

To begin with most of the music will be heavily acoustic as I really like acoustic stuff and I have no way to add any drums at this time. I know that drums aren't necessary but neither are pants when you go out in public but it sure is nice to have them.

So, are you going to be using an acoustic/electric bass, or a semi-hollow, or just a regular solidbody?

And you say acoustic, but there's a lot of different kinds of acoustic. There's folk, country, bluegrass, jazz, western swing, indie (whatever the hell that means), etc.

Are you trying on a tight budget? If so, like I said, I can highly recommend the Behringer (spit, pooey) BDI21. I know, I hate recommending anything by them, but the fact is, if money's tight, it's a great DI, and if money's not tight, it's still a great DI. It's just a ripoff of a Tech21 SansAmp Bass Driver, which is an old industry standard, and if you can afford one of them I'm sure it's just as good if not better. I just have no personal experience with one like I do with the Behri. And I'm not the only one. Other guys here have backed me up on this. If you play bass of any kind through an amp, or record one direct, buy one of these. You will not regret it.

I agree wholeheartedly with the advice posted here: get the Tech21 SansAmp Bass Driver. Can't go wrong with it. There are quite a few combinations of DI, SansAmp, Bass amp tracks that will result in many different tones, but lately I've been running the SansAmp into my EL-8 Distressor and then will simultaneously track a clean DI signal; the blend of those two signals freakin' ROARS. Granted, the Distressor is NOT cheap, but it's VERY versatile (I use it on just about everything: overheads, vocals, bass, synths/keys, percussion, etc) so it's well-worth the money. Just my two cents!

Given that you don't have a bass amp the BDI21 is a quick and efficient answer, oh & it works well for electric guitar as well as bass.
It's simple, effective and cheap.
Compressors are excellent if you've not rehearsed the songs and, therefor, your playing is less than even or if the bass itself tends to have louder strings or notes.
The Sansamp is fabulous but it's quite expensive and the Behri does do an excellent job.

I have been out of town for 10 days so I haven't had the opportunity to get on HR until now. Thank you all so much for your suggestions and advice.
So, are you going to be using an acoustic/electric bass, or a semi-hollow, or just a regular solidbody?

And you say acoustic, but there's a lot of different kinds of acoustic. There's folk, country, bluegrass, jazz, western swing, indie (whatever the hell that means), etc.
As for acoustic music think Dan Fogelberg, John Denver, Peter, Paul and Merry and others along that line.

I have been out of town for 10 days so I haven't had the opportunity to get on HR until now. Thank you all so much for your suggestions and advice.

As for acoustic music think Dan Fogelberg,

Dude, you and I are going to get along just fine.

Back