What next?

bubbagump

I never thought I would post a thread like this... but I am looking for suggestions to fill holes in ye olde mic cabinet and I am hoping for suggestions of mics I had not thought of. Budget isn't really an issue to a point ($2k or less). I am also much more interested in a few really useful mics than one expensive one trick pony. What I have now....

(1) SM7
(1) AT4050
(3) i5
(1) D6
(1) OM5
(1) SM94
(1) KSM105
(2) MSH-1A (or whatever they are called now)
(1) ADK A-51
(3) cheapo 58 knock off dynamics that I use for live sound gigs at weddings or whatever so it doesn't matter if the best man or president of the Plinko association drops them in a punch bowl.

It varies. I have been into a bit of everything lately... rock, punk, RnB, jazz, accordions, Persian folk, classical guitar, other stuff. I am just sick of mooching off of friends with gear (a 57 here, an NT1000 there, a few etc) and figure it is time to put back into the biz. So I need versatile and work horse.

sent you an email.

I can recomend all sorts of stuff.

Never hurts to have a couple of 414's around they are great and ver versitile mics to have in your cabinet.

But you could use that mony and probly get an arsenal of mics from people like MXL, CAD, AT, KARMA, CASCADE, SHURE, & More...

$.02

how about a pair of akg 414's... got your polar patterns... pairs open all kindsa possibilities for stereo micing... and way versatile in and of themselves....

dementedchord said:
how about a pair of akg 414's... got your polar patterns... pairs open all kindsa possibilities for stereo micing... and way versatile in and of themselves....

i know that is what i was recomending as well

414's would be good. Alternate suggestion, a second 4050, a K2, a SM7, and a couple of Senn 421's. That's about $2k.

The only hole I see is a Tube LDC. Maybe, some other dynamics like some Senn e609's or SM57's to go with those i5's. Don't get me wrong the i5's are great mics but variety is the spice of life!

Gefell m930s! Gefell m300! AKG 414

gefell mv692 with various caps(on ebay all the time and sound GREAT!)

schoeps
bubbagump said:
I never thought I would post a thread like this... but I am looking for suggestions to fill holes in ye olde mic cabinet and I am hoping for suggestions of mics I had not thought of. Budget isn't really an issue to a point ($2k or less). I am also much more interested in a few really useful mics than one expensive one trick pony. What I have now....

(1) SM7
(1) AT4050
(3) i5
(1) D6
(1) OM5
(1) SM94
(1) KSM105
(2) MSH-1A (or whatever they are called now)
(1) ADK A-51
(3) cheapo 58 knock off dynamics that I use for live sound gigs at weddings or whatever so it doesn't matter if the best man or president of the Plinko association drops them in a punch bowl.

A second 4050 would be nice. You can do a lot with these and a pair is pretty useful. A good ribbon like an AEA R84 would also be useful. Alternatively, you could look at a Beyer M160 or a Royer 121 depending on your budget. I haven't used the MSH mics (you using them for overheads?), but a pair of decent SD condensers would also be handy. AT-4051s or matched Josephson C42s would be really useful and fairly reasonable. The Pelusos might be good but I haven't used them so I can't offer an opinion on them. A sleeper mic that is a great instrument mic is the GT-44/AM-40. Tube MD condenser. Wonderful mic for a lost of instruments and dirt cheap these days -- $200-250 used.

A second 4050 was certainly one thing I was considering as I think 4050s compete well with the 414s even though they have fewer patterns. Too bad the folks on eBay seem to be out of 4050 refurbs. The MD421 never crossed my mind (duh, should have), though the Gefells had. Those ADK ground meat mics (you know, Vienna Sausage and Hamburger :p ) have peaked my interest as well, but from what I have heard described, I might hate them. I am not much into lots of high end sheen like the C12. I certainly have a hole in the SDC area... however I have never been much of a cardiod SDC fan. M160, good call.

If you want omni SD, the AT-4049a is pretty good. They are about $250 each used. There's also the Avenson STO-2 which is about $550 new as a matched pair. With the ATs, you can add cardioid or hypercardioid capsules to go on the amplifiers later if you want (and thus end up with a 4051 or a 4053). AKG and Neumann make some nice SDs also, but they are significantly more $$$. Beyer also makes some decent SD mics with changeable capsules that can be relative bargains, but it takes a bit of hunting to find them. I've got the ATs and like them a lot. I've been looking at the Avensons too. Here's a brief review.
http://www.mojopie.com/sto2.html

Back