What Next?

Necrothing

I used to just plug everything into my tascam porta 2 analog 4-track, but lately I've been splashing out a bit of money on decent recording equipment (decent for my meagre budget anyway)

In the last couple of weeks I've bought a Zoom MRS802 multitracker, and have just paid my deposit on a pair of Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.2a's (should be getting them next Thursday). I record mostly rock plugging my guitar or bass either directly into the Zoom or using my Quadraverb gt.

Just wondering what should be next on my list so I can produce that (almost) professional sound.

p.s. I ordered the wharfedales because of all the praise they've been getting on this forum, so I guess you guys are to blame for my wallet being empty, ;)

What are you using for drums ?

Maybe an amp modeler for bass guitar. The Bass POD XT or the original Bass POD, SansAmp RBI or Bass Driver, Korg Bass Ampworks, etc.

Monitor stands. It's important to get them right at ear level and to properly place them in the room for the best acoustics.

MadAudio said:
You'll be keeping those Wharfedales, I assure you. Did you get the actives?

Yeah I got the actives, lucky I know the guy in the shop, they were gonna charge me £320/$524 for the pair, but I got them for £250/$409.

Wide Awake said:
What are you using for drums ?

I've got an Alesis SR16 and a Boss DR202. Also got the built in drum machine on the Zoom MRS802. (I'm not too thrilled about any of them)

that giant skull is kinda annoying after a few posts. Maybe you could tone it down a little. Sorry, not trying to be a jerk.

Necrothing said:
In the last couple of weeks I've bought a Zoom MRS802 multitracker, and have just paid my deposit on a pair of Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.2a's (should be getting them next Thursday). I record mostly rock plugging my guitar or bass either directly into the Zoom or using my Quadraverb gt.

Just wondering what should be next on my list so I can produce that (almost) professional sound.

You should start putting money into one decent mic pre amp, and a couple good mics. People often overlook it, but good mics, mic pres and knowing how to use them is the foundation of great recording.

If you are doing heavy guitar stuff, start recording a real amp with a mic. Some people like recording guitars direct, but the results are not really what people would associate with "professional sound"

jonhall5446 said:
that giant skull is kinda annoying after a few posts. Maybe you could tone it down a little. Sorry, not trying to be a jerk.

Done & done, It was the only sig I had (use it on other forums/boards) and I've just been too idle/busy to make a new one.

Ronan said:
If you are doing heavy guitar stuff, start recording a real amp with a mic.

I've got a Marshall 50w and a Vox Venue Lead 100w but I live in a top floor flat, so I don't get much chance to use the amp. I do have a Marshall Series 9000 pre-amp that I haven't really messed about with yet.

Back