What new Mic Should i get for under $200?

Cody Suit

likes Fast/Heavy music
so i just got $150 (canadian) for my birthday and i was thinkin to maybe get a new mic or something.

i was thinkin maybe an e609 or a pair of MXL overheads or something of the sort.

right now ive got a samson drum mic kit, a d6, sm57, and a sm58 for mics.

what do you think my weakest spot is?

probably the overheads?

oh yeh and i play/record loud like metal/hardcore/grindcore stuff. plus i do the odd random folk-punk thing

There is room for improvement in a lot of areas. I would probably sell the Samson kit and try to find two M177 to use of toms (they were $60 new before MS discontinued them). I don't like MXLs on drums, a little too tinny sounding for me, but with that budget I don't know what would do any better. You might be able to find two KSM109s, but I've only used those as a hi-hat microphone.

Those clip-on e609s sound surprising good on toms also.

If you don't already own an Oktava MC012, then you should probably have at least one of those.

I would almost consider it a prerequisite.

:D

i would sell the samson mics, but i use them for live sound and i dont like using my good mics at shows. they are punk shows and can get roudy.

so i should probably get some decent condensers since ive got some decent dynamic mics and something with good low end reproduction.....

yea, i was going to say...i don't see a single condenser mic on your list

for $150, you could score an audio-technica 3035, which are pretty decent budget condensers. for only a few $$ more you could probably find a used 4040, which would be even better.

yea, i was going to say...i don't see a single condenser mic on your list

for $150, you could score an audio-technica 3035, which are pretty decent budget condensers. for only a few $$ more you could probably find a used 4040, which would be even better.

the only condensers i have right now are the ones that came with the samson mic kit.

would it be better to try and get one good LDC or a pair of matched SDC's?

Back