What needs to change?

djhead

Military Intelligence
I did some recordings with my Oktava MK319, I am starting to not like how "tinny" i tends to sound. I am running into my Firepod pre's, in a closet full of clothes. Yes I am ghetto, I realize this. But I wonder what needs to change:

1. The Mic? I used to like how dark it sounded, but now it really sounds like vocals are coming through a copper tube.

2. The Room? I tried in several different locations, and it really picks up a lot of reflections.

3. The pre's? Nothing fancy, but it has done just fine on dynamic mics.

What would be a good "dark" mic, in the same range? Or should I be focusing on something other than the mic. I have heard their are mods that can make your Oktava sound like a Neumann.

the oktava is a dark microphone...try a good ribbon mic..like the shinybox 46c. or the cascade fathead. those have a smooth, dark, woody sound, that I bet youll love.

(cheap too! around 200 bucks for each)

I know you cant do much soundwise to the barracks, but the mic, imho is the most important piece..
try a ribbon.

and no oktava will sound like any neumann. (not ragging on oktava, but that is a preposterous statement)..

again..try a ribbon!

www.shinybox.com

http://www.cascademicrophones.com/cascade_FAT HEAD.html

djhead said:
I did some recordings with my Oktava MK319, I am starting to not like how "tinny" i tends to sound. I am running into my Firepod pre's, in a closet full of clothes. Yes I am ghetto, I realize this. But I wonder what needs to change:

1. The Mic? I used to like how dark it sounded, but now it really sounds like vocals are coming through a copper tube.

2. The Room? I tried in several different locations, and it really picks up a lot of reflections.

3. The pre's? Nothing fancy, but it has done just fine on dynamic mics.

What would be a good "dark" mic, in the same range? Or should I be focusing on something other than the mic. I have heard their are mods that can make your Oktava sound like a Neumann.

I don't live in the B's. I live on E5 pay with a german frau which equals no duckets for soundproofing.

ja woll!

do try a ribbon though..the ones I suggested arent expensive at all. they are very different sounding than condensors...smooth, thick..

djhead said:
I don't live in the B's. I live on E5 pay with a german frau which equals no duckets for soundproofing.

djhead said:
But I wonder what needs to change:

1. The Mic?

Yes

2. The Room?

Yes

3. The pre's?

Probably wouldn't hurt.

What would be a good "dark" mic, in the same range?

A "modded" Oktava.

Back