What MOBO are you using with Delta 66?

James927

Hi,
I'm planning on putting together a DAW with a Delta 66
and was wondering what MOBO people are successfully using with it. I've been checking out the Asus A7V333 (for use with
an AMD processor) and it seems great - USB 2.0 and an onboard
raid controller and 'q-fan" Here's a link to info on it: http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/asus/a7v333/a7v333p1.htm
Thanks for any and all input.
James

Soyo Ultra Dragon Platinum KT333

Just put this baby together, and haven't logged any significant hours doing recording yet. I'll report back after I have. It's very stable doing most everything so far, though, and I've run a bunch of benchmarks on it. It has onboard sound, but you can turn it off if you like. I already had an Audigy and a Delta 66, and I don't really need any more inputs.
-ElSilva

james, same board i was looking at - but i emailed m-audio..and the guy wrote back, very simply:

"make sure you dont have a VIA chipset".

i said ok at first, then realizing that basically every board i can find that is decent seems to be manufactured by VIA and have a VIA "chipset" i guess, maybe he was just kidding? lol.

in the meantime, i dont kno what to do. but my computer will be ordered hopefully by this weekend. any ideas anyone?

p.s. i've ordered the delta 44.

I have an ABIT KG7 (w/AthlonXP 1500). Runs like a top. The northbridge is a VIA, but the southbridge is an AMD (or maybe I mixed those up--somebody help me out).

VIA warning is old news

That warning about VIA chipsets is old news, like one or two generations of mobos ago. I understand the new VIA chipsets are just dandy. I bought one myself.

-ElSilva

I have a delta66 and used to have an ABIT Kt7a-Raid... this mobo has the VIA 133a chipset, and I was told back then that VIA being trouble was old news and go ahead with the VIA... well it worked fine for WDM, but if I tried to run a program that used ASIO, it was "crackle crackle crackle snap pop crackle"

so I ditched it and went with the ECS K7S5A (SiS 735 chipset) and haven't had any of that crackle crackle snap pop stuff ever since...

If u want to stay away from VIA, other good chipsets are the SiS735 (I know of quite a few peeps running the 735 w/ deltas like me), SiS745, or Nforce (I think the 415 or 420 is good)...

I second the vote for the Soyo.. I have a Dragon Plus and I run it with a Delta 44 (same thing as the 66 without S/PDIF) and have had no problems at all.

I also second the comment aboot the fact that VIA issues are old news... VIA issues haven't been relevent for a couple chipset generations now.

And Whoopy.. that's an AMD 761 chipset mobo. (also known as 760) The southbridge is a VIA component. VIA southbridges are pretty common, and the 686B has been a widely used southbridge with a couple different chipsets. (KT133A, AMD 761, maybe others... I dunno.. :p ) In fact... I think some of the "issues" with VIA chipsets had more to do with the 686B southbridge than it did with the northbridge. Fortunately, the problems have been solved more due to newer, improved BIOS versions, rather than alterations of hardware.

WATYF

WATYF said:
And Whoopy.. that's an AMD 761 chipset mobo. (also known as 760) The southbridge is a VIA component. VIA southbridges are pretty common, and the 686B has been a widely used southbridge with a couple different chipsets. (KT133A, AMD 761, maybe others... I dunno.. :p ) In fact... I think some of the "issues" with VIA chipsets had more to do with the 686B southbridge than it did with the northbridge. Fortunately, the problems have been solved more due to newer, improved BIOS versions, rather than alterations of hardware.

WATYF

That's it. I knew it was an AMD761 chipset, but I always get north and south mixed up. There are AMD760s that use an AMD southbridge, aren't there, though? I'm really not sure.

whoa whoa.

so your telling me that basically any board i want to buy from newegg.com will be fine, and work great with my delta 44, because VIA fixed it (for most at least)?

and also - what is WDM, what is ASIO?

thanks.

mine is an AMD 761 and 762 i think ones north and other south don't remember which is which ...but it works great wit my delta

I also contacted the guys at Maudio and asked them wich MOBOS would work with AMD Athlon and Delta 1010 and about three weeks later the guy responds.....I good mobo would be the
Asus A7v333 :confused: I expected a bigger list of options, but what the heck, I'm also about to build my PC and think I'll go with the Dragon Ultra....

yeah i've emailed M-Audio multiple times..

it always takes about a month (which i dont have)...and it's always an extrememly short answer. This last time i mailed them, i made sure to emphisize a BIG list of possible MOBO's!

mainly because they told me NO VIA at all, and the board they suggested before had VIA indeed....

I've e-mailed M-audio two times and both times they replied the next day. I just went to midiman.com and filled out the tech support form on the product? Maybe you guys did the same and I just got lucky?

Well my Delta 66 nightmare continues, with no help from MIDIMAN as usual! I've mailed lots of times - never any response - seems like they dont like to talk about freezing motherboard issues etc.

i recently replaced my MOBO with an SIS 735 chipset. i have a AMD Duron 750.

partly.. im wondering if my battle is with Windows ME. It seems like such a piece of shit OS - but then again it handles more RAM than Windows 98, and I have 512 MB of sdram.

Whats OS's are u guys using?
dedicated sound drives?

my drive is only 20 GB, but it is ATA100 7200rpm. I have a 300 watt power supply. My machine is however stating that the Delta 66 is on IRQ5 and so is my USB port??

please someone steer me in the right direction! i need to know what OS/what multitracker DAW!

thanks

Pearldiver said:
im wondering if my battle is with Windows ME.
*ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding*

YOU GUESSED IT!!! Now, tell the man what he's won!!!!

:D

Win ME is thee single biggest piece of crap O/S that has ever graced the market... (ok.. so maybe it isnt' as bad as Linux... :eek: :eek: ;) :D :p ....but it still sucks.. :p)

You should flush your copy of ME down the crapper and immediately buy Windows XP. i won't bother rehasing everything I (and others) have said aboot XP around here.. instead here's a link to another thread that should fill you in on the general consensus.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55430&highlight=Windows

WATYF

Pearldiver,

Couple of tips for you with the Delta:

1. Go Intel chipset whenever possible.
2. ASUS motherboard (No need to explain this)
3. Lose ME ASAP. Go Win 2000 or Win XP NOW
3a. Don't believe any of your info about RAM usage on any Win9x/ME system...Win 2000/XP are built on the NT kernel which handles RAM in a completely different and vastly superior way.
4. Dedicated drives are a critical requirement. It's not up for discussion. 1 drive (20-40GB) for OS and apps and another (40-80GB) for your audio work.
5. Custom install of your OS to ensure your audio card gets it's own IRQ. Let me know if you need help with this one - it involves a lot of work but is well worth the effort.

I have had the Delta (with Omni Studio) going nonstop in my studio for 18 months without so much as a pop, crackle or any downtime. With a proper machine environment build with high end quality parts and some dedicated OS study - The Delta is one of the best values you will find for an audio card. But like any other high quality item - you can't just stuff this thing into any old machine with average parts and expect success. It takes some TLC to get the best performance from it.

Cheers,

Cuzin B

Ok,

I can't go Intel, becuase my machine is AMD, but when it is working the CPU/RAM hasnt been a problem.

I'll switch to Windows 2000.

I'll get a dedicated sound drive.

What Multitrack Software are you using?

Thanks

Back