What Mixer Is Suitable?!

React

Lol Its me again :).... Okay i Rap.... What Mixer would be suitable for me 2 use i was thinking a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro... is that 2 MUch? if so or if not can anyone tell me what other mixers i should consider :)

It really depends on your recording setup.

What do you record to (DAW, ADAT, analog tape, wax disc etc.)? how many tracks do you need to be able to record simulataneously? What's your budget? what gear do you have already? etc.

I DONT KNOW ANY OF THAT!

lol i use a Dell :) getting a Shure SM57 Mic making a AWESOME booth... what else do i need besides that stuff? Will That mixer do?

You'll need a preamp for the mic. Mixers have preamps built into them or you can get a standalone preamp.

I'm assuming you'll only be recording one thing at a time? So you only need one preamp.

You don't need that mixer, you can do all of your mixing inside the comp. You could get a smaller mixer whixch will give you a couple of preamps and headphone monitoring as well. Try the Tapco 6306 (by Mackie) or the Soundcraft compact 4 or the Yamaha MG 10/2.

You also need a soundcard designed for recording audio. M Audio audiophile 24/96 is pretty good but you could try a search.

And you need software to record into. You'll have to search around to see what's out there that would suit your needs.

If you want to take things seriously you'll have to think about some monitors at some stage as well.

This site is a good resource for recording info:

www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com

o im sorry id dint specify i have cool edit pro and know i need a sound card :) what does a Preamp do and why do i need it? :eek:

a preamp brings the level of a microphone signal to a line level(correct me if i'm wrong).

just trying getting an XLR -> 1/4" cable and plugging the mic right into the soundcard...it won't be pretty.

The output of a microphone is weak (mic level).

The preamp is needed to boost the weak (mic level) signal to a stronger (line level) signal to make it useable.

If you plug a mic directly into a line level input it will be very quiet or you might not hear it at all.

Some sources like keyboards and CD players already give a line level signal which is why mixers and other interfaces have line inputs to connect these devices. Mic inputs on a mixer will have a preamp built into that channel.

Yea well ive got so many people telling me to get the 57 you know its more like word of mouth im going by :)

Back