What Mixer/Interface To Use

pjblues13

I am a bit confused, easy to do at my old age. I want to record (8) tracks at once in Logic and or Ableton. I purchased the new Allen & Heath QU - 16 digital mixer which is also an interface and wow, it is so far over my head. It has DAW control but very difficult to setup. I am willing to just use my mouse with Logic and or Ableton. Do most people have DAW controls or do most people mix with their mouse in the software? What is a good or great interface to get if I return the A & H mixer. I need to get my head around this recording stuff. Please provide some options, suggestions, ideas, etc.

Thanks.

I grew up with Logic and used just mouse to work it.

There are a number of decent interfaces that will do what you want. I've been very happy with my firewire Presonus Firepod. However, USB interfaces seem to be taking over, so I would look at, say, the Tascam range.

Note that I've switched from Logic to Reaper. I find Reaper to be a lot easier to use, but very flexible and powerful.

Thanks for the quick follow-up. I too have considered Reaper. I will look at the Tascam line. I am also considering the UAD Apollo Twin and using the ADAT to hook up a Focusrite Saffire to give me 10 channels.

You could always give me the Qu 16....please?

Seriously, I'm not sure what to advise. The mixer is a lovely bit of kit--great sounding mic pre amps, and extensively functionality. However, with extensive functionality comes extra complexity and a very steep learning curve.

I also own a digital mixer (I can record up to 32 simultaneous tracks though I rarely go quite that high) but, even so, I do my editing and mixing with a mouse and only use the mixer as an input/output device.

Rather than dumping the A&H for one of the other interfaces you're considering, you might consider starting off using it just as an interface and not bothering with the DAW control for the time being. You could always get into that once you're feeling more confident.

Add to that my +1 to what ecc83 said about A&H...they're about the most helpful people you can ever get at the end of a phone line. I'm sure they could talk you through at least the basics.

Or you could just send me the mixer...I can PM my address! :)

Well I finally had a A&H tech from London take control of my computer and he got the mixer setup with Logic Pro X. I tried to follow what he was doing but he was too fast. I asked if added Logic Pro X to my laptop as well, would I have to go through the process again. He answered yes but indicated, A & H is going to make a detailed video about this very subject. Apparently, Logic has a few changes that they were not aware of. Anyways, I have ordered an Apogee Quartet to go with my Mac and Logic. I am thinking I will return the A & H due to its complexity.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I will keep you posted.

Back