What midi controller?

Dearg

I am looking at buying a midi controller but also want to record audio.
So far I have read some stuff on the M-audio Ozone , Edirol PCR 1 and PCR A30, and the Alesis Photon X25.
I have a decent lap top and will be doing mainly audio stuff, guitar vocals, but want to get into MIDI.
The M-audio seems good because it has phantom power but you cant save settings and the keyboard is flimsy plus it needs mains power. The Edirols look good but offer no phantom power. And the Alesis looks cool but it does not have direct monitoring or phantom. Do I need direct monitoring if my Laptop is brand new?
512 MB ram, Pentium M processor.
I will also be using the keyboard to control Cubase on my PC which has a sound card and breakout box. Should I get just a controller and a separate recorder interface for the Laptop?
Does anybody recommend anything?
Help please.

Dearg

Novation X station (remote with audio). The novation midi controlers are the all around best IMHO, have easy to program interfaces, and are "serious" midi controllers (meaning support NRPN, RPN, SYSEX midi messages)

Controller

Thanks,
I am currently looking at getting one but it is a serious bit of kit money wise and I probably only will be spending a few hours a week using it.
Would the Edirol PCR a30 suit me better? Although I do play a lot live so maybe I could incorporate the X station into my set?

Just glancing at the specs, it looks pretty good, so yeah. Any good midi controller will work with or without a computer so for live use, either one will be fine

And when you post again refrain from crossposting - that means posting the same question in multiple forums.

Back