What microphone should I use for recording acoustic and electric guitar?

jt47000

Hi,

I'd like an easy way to record audio from my electric guitar and acoustic guitar. I teach guitar lessons and the audio that my camera picks up is pretty bad. Sometimes it sounds ok, but if I strum all the strings on acoustic or if I use certaint types of distortion on the electric, it gets really "crunchy and poppy". And If I strum or play while I talk, it usually drowns out my voice as I need to talk to explain what I'm doing during the lessons.

I'm not looking for a huge complex system that costs thousands and/or wires everywhere. I was hoping for like a simple oni directional mic that can pick up clean tone and clear audio from up to 15 ft away that will maybe plug in easily via usb or that I could potentially plug into a nice canon camera or nikon camera.

I have a condenser mic, but I need to run wires, It's super finicky, I have to use a mixer along with computer software to regulate the sound... It's a headache. I'm looking for simple.

Here's a pretty famous guitar guy, what do you think he uses for audio and video? I'd love my videos to turn out like his - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZwqulxboIg

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!

JT

"oni directional mic that can pick up clean tone and clear audio from up to 15 ft away "

No such animal I am afraid. A shotgun mic might work but good ones are expensive and I doubt you would get the punchy, clean sound in that video. Which, BTW was recorded by a much more sophisticated setup than you think or get shown!

I suspect the guy was wearing a tie tack mic, a good one. Or there was a boom mic over his head. There was just TOO little room intrusion for the mic to be very far away (the room did not look heavily treated) .

The guitar sound too was especially good, even to these old, shot ears. I am sure there was a mic or mics very close to the amp.

You need a basic but good Audio Interface. I would suggest the Steinberg UR22 , Mics are a teensy problem. For voice a dynamic such as the Shure SM57 or SM58 and another 57 for the guitar amp cab. The problem is acoustic guitar. The dynamic will give a low level, not in itself a problem but the sound will not be very accurate, lacking in "brightness" . The solution is a Small Diaphragm Capacitor (aka condenser) mic. If you can only afford two, get an SDC and a 57 and use the cap' mic for speech (you might prefer it anyway!) .

This setup will give you two fairly independent tracks that you can balance for video.

I think most here will say this is about the minimum needed for good results. The video LOOKED easy because good work always does!

Dave.

Hi,

I'd like an easy way to record audio from my electric guitar and acoustic guitar. I teach guitar lessons and the audio that my camera picks up is pretty bad. Sometimes it sounds ok, but if I strum all the strings on acoustic or if I use certaint types of distortion on the electric, it gets really "crunchy and poppy". And If I strum or play while I talk, it usually drowns out my voice as I need to talk to explain what I'm doing during the lessons.

I'm not looking for a huge complex system that costs thousands and/or wires everywhere. I was hoping for like a simple oni directional mic that can pick up clean tone and clear audio from up to 15 ft away that will maybe plug in easily via usb or that I could potentially plug into a nice canon camera or nikon camera.

I have a condenser mic, but I need to run wires, It's super finicky, I have to use a mixer along with computer software to regulate the sound... It's a headache. I'm looking for simple.

Here's a pretty famous guitar guy, what do you think he uses for audio and video? I'd love my videos to turn out like his - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZwqulxboIg

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!

JT

Almost certainly there was a short gun above his head and just out of shot (the normal way of doing these things), so it's only a foot or two away.

The guitar probably had a floor mic. by the amp.

Back