What Microphone is Best for My Vocals? (under $1000)

undermind

I'm looking for a mic mainly for my own vocals. I was looking in the $500 and under range, but I want to make sure I get a great mic, so I would be willing to spend up to $1000. I don't care that much about directional patterns, tube vs SS, etc. I would describe my voice as fairly midrange-y, with a fair amount of airy rasp and a bit of an edge.

What I'm looking for is something warm and smooth. Something that is not hyped in the top or low end. It's ability to record acoustic guitar is also important to me.

I recorded a full album a couple years ago and am rebuilding my home studio from scratch. My front end minus the mic currently consists of a Trident S20 pre into a LynxTwo card. I grabbed an Octava MK-319 to get me functioning so I could start learning my new software. I'm pretty familiar with the sound of the mic because I recorded a lot of my last album with it. My complaint is that I get this sort of hollow, brittle sound. My ears get very fatigued after I listen for awhile, especially with acoustic guitar. I have to really roll off the top end to make it better, but it's still very brittle and harsh to me.

Thanks for your replies. I should note that I really don't have the opportunity to do A/B comparisons in stores. Its not an option where I live now..

Hi, I am not an authority on different microphones, and it is difficult to make recommendtions on what would be best for you, especially when you start pairing up mics with different preamps and consider the recording space, etc. However, I have been using the Peluso 22 47 microphone for vocals, which suits my voice and seems to be alot like what you are describing. You can hear songs I recorded with it in my recordings link below, but I use the Avalon AD2022 preamp. If that helps you get any kind of frame of reference, then I hope it helps.

BTW, soundpure sells them!

Look into an AKG 414-XLS. It's really wonderful. Not hyped. Lots of pickup patterns, and bass-roll off frequencies. And if you want something even smoother consider the AEA R84. Again, really wonderful.

i dont know where you live, but there is this audio/video place in Manhatten that has everything all set up, for you to do a/b tests. maybe its worth a trip to the big apple.
(kinda easy for me to say, i atleast live on long island.)

i think its called b and h electronics.

THERE IS NO BEST>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WILL YOU PEOPLE EVER LEARN!! THERE IS NO @)(#@)#(@ )(# @)ING BEST.

That being said, do a search. This has been covered 43 million times.
THAT being said, An Audio Technica 4050 Pair is fantastic for vocals and guitar. and about anything else under the sun. For a different flavor, the beyer m130 and m160 pair(ribbons) work equally well.

undermind said:
I'm looking for a mic mainly for my own vocals. I was looking in the $500 and under range, but I want to make sure I get a great mic, so I would be willing to spend up to $1000. I don't care that much about directional patterns, tube vs SS, etc. I would describe my voice as fairly midrange-y, with a fair amount of airy rasp and a bit of an edge.

What I'm looking for is something warm and smooth. Something that is not hyped in the top or low end. It's ability to record acoustic guitar is also important to me.

I recorded a full album a couple years ago and am rebuilding my home studio from scratch. My front end minus the mic currently consists of a Trident S20 pre into a LynxTwo card. I grabbed an Octava MK-319 to get me functioning so I could start learning my new software. I'm pretty familiar with the sound of the mic because I recorded a lot of my last album with it. My complaint is that I get this sort of hollow, brittle sound. My ears get very fatigued after I listen for awhile, especially with acoustic guitar. I have to really roll off the top end to make it better, but it's still very brittle and harsh to me.

Thanks for your replies. I should note that I really don't have the opportunity to do A/B comparisons in stores. Its not an option where I live now..

TragikRemix said:
i think its called b and h electronics.

that would be b+h photo video. Also in Connecticut, Craig Calistro's business, Calistromusic is good...also Dale Pro Audio

and also, how would ANYONE know what is best for your voice? We dont have your ears on our heads.

agreed, without even a sample of your voice it is possible to only speak in generalities.

So speaking in generaltities I would go somewhere and audition one of each of these, all of which might be what you are talking about when you say warm and smooth.

1. A high quality dynamic like a SM7 or RE20

2. A large diameter tube condenser

3. A ribbon.

Then when you have found the category you like then narrow it down further by auditioning more in that category.

BigRay said:
THERE IS NO BEST>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WILL YOU PEOPLE EVER LEARN!! THERE IS NO @)(#@)#(@ )(# @)ING BEST.

That being said, do a search. This has been covered 43 million times..
Great. I knew I would get this response. I always do searches before I post, And I think I've read all 43 million of those threads. And of course there is no BEST mic for ANYTHING. But what I'm asking is what mic YOU like best that fits the criteria (warm, smooth and under $1000) You obviously have some that fit the criteria, which you posted. So thank you.

Anyways, I can post a voice sample. Let me figure out how I should do it..

Undermind, I have heard good things about the Gefell m930 as well as the Charter Oaks mics and the AT4060. You know, I recorded a song recently using two gefell m300's which are small diameter condensers I use for the guitar. The sound was every bit as nice as my Peluso 22 47. So, I guess it just depends on what you want to hear and what you are recording. I would go ahead and invest in one good LDC tube mic, then add some other flavors later. Good luck deciding amigo!

The first track was using the Josephson e22 pair, which I sold because it was hard to get a strong signal out of them for more distant micing. The e22s are exellent mics with a high price to match (over 2k), but I find the Gefells to be more versatile. If you want a more affordable guitar mic, go for the Peluso CEMC6 matched omni pair, you won't be disappointed. The second track was using the Gefell m300 matched pair for both guitar and vocals, a very smooth sounding mic.

Here's a dry sample I pulled from something I'm sketching up. This is not the most ideal sample because I usually don't sing this high and "out". But it's a sample none the less.

Nice voice!

Your voice is as you described, which I think would lend itself to most all the options stated above. There is some room for creating the sound you want through effects and EQ. I find that different polar patterns sound different and mic placement relative to your mouth, etc. You should consider the room as well, because I have noticed an improvement in quality since using some panels made with cloth covered compressed fiberglass which do help.

Rick Shepherd said:
Your voice is as you described, which I think would lend itself to most all the options stated above. There is some room for creating the sound you want through effects and EQ. I find that different polar patterns sound different and mic placement relative to your mouth, etc. You should consider the room as well, because I have noticed an improvement in quality since using some panels made with cloth covered compressed fiberglass which do help.
You're right. The room is a big factor in my tracks right now, and I'm working on ideas to address that. I track vocals and guitars in my office, which I want to look like an office, so I can't put foam on the walls. Are the panels you built portable?

Check out a Peluso 2247 which is $300 or so more than your budget but it is an excellent vocal mic. Another mic not mentioned would be a Soundelux U195 which is also over your budget but only by $100 or so and if you find one used it should be around $800.

I haven't heard or used them yet but ADK is starting to sell the new Hamburg II & Vienna II which are not made in China but in NA. From what I've heard though both of these mics are going to be killer vocal mics and should street below the top of your budget. Good luck! :)

As mentioned above, you need some room treatment to cut down on the bounce back off your walls. You can make a vocal booth with 3 panels of auralex in a corner if money is an issue. This alone would improve the sound of the mic you currently have.

For your voice I would reach for the AT4060, maybe the 4050 but not without the wall treament mentioned above.

Next I would try the Shure SM7 because it sounds good on a lot of things.

Suprisingly I would next try the V67 Marshall mic because it's dark and you have high end bite in your voice. It's also cheap.

You said keep it under $1000 so there you go.

The K2 or NTK are also an option but I would bet, after hearing your voice, they would accent the edge in your voice too much.

Back