What laptop should I buy?

Pirateking

Hi. I realize this all has probably been covered in the past, so if you'd prefer to link me to old threads to answer my questions, I'm ok with that.

1. My girlfriend and I are going to buy a laptop because our old computer is falling apart. As far as music goes, I use our current computer primarily for mixing down into CoolEdit from my 8-track. Does anyone have recommendations for laptops to use for this purpose? I'm not a PC or Mac purist, so feel free to recommend either. I would prefer to spend $2000 or less. We're currently looking at Dells and the iBook, but I'm open to suggestions.

2. Are there specifications I should look for when looking at laptops to know if I will be able to do the above successfully; e.g., certain speed, amount of hard drive space, type of sound card, etc.?

3. Based on scanning other threads, it seems like the general consensus is that if I eventually wanted to get into recording directly into a multitrack program on the computer, it would be better to use a desktop instead of a laptop. If I wanted to use a laptop, it would probably have to be a pretty powerful, and thus expensive, laptop. Is this the case?

Have you looked into the G4 PowerBook? You could get a nice one of those for 2000 buxx and they are much better than the iBook.

I consider getting one of those. Unfortunately I couldn't find any info how fast their hard drives are. 4200 rpm wouldn't get the job done, of course, so that's important to know.

Back