What kind of MXL V69 did I get?

ranjam

Through a series of horse trading, I ended up with an MXL V69 Mogami. I thought about checking the tube before I brought it home, but didn't :o. Now I see it isn't a 12AT7 or whatever up top, but a l'il 5718 soldered directly to the circuit board :confused:. What have I got? I cannot ever see myself changing this, but paying some else to go cross-eyed as they unsolder those teeny-weenie leads puts a damper on the whole swap. Or does it? Who else has one? Does the tube last a long time? Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

The AT3060 is the same....Hmmmmmm...I was curious about that too...those special tubes shouldnt get too hot either...but Im sure that you still have to hang it upside down anyway.

All the modern GT mics are the same way. AFAIK, the tubes are intended for long service and the design isn't intended to facilitate any kind of tube swapping. Same kind of arrangement in the GT-44s that I have. My older GT mics (MD1a and MD3) and my Gefell Neumann M582h all take 12AT7 tubes that are swappable.

You got an early version of the mic, before they put in a tube socket.

12a?7 tubes and it's ilk can last for quite awhile.
I wouldn't worry about it.

If you must, you could or you could have someone put in a tube socket.
It's not worth it IMO.
Just use the mic and enjoy it.

-Mad

The 5718 isn't anything like any 12AT7. Where to begin?
  1. The physical size is quite different. The 5718 is 1/2 the size of a 12AT7.
  2. The 12AT7 is two triodes in one envelope. The 5718 is a single triode.
  3. The 5718 does not have pins! There are long leads that are trimmed and soldered into place. It would be like trying to insert a piece of spaghetti into a tube socket ;).
Oh, well. The swap was with a friend, and as always when we trade, if I ain't happy, there is a generous return policy. But I just might keep the mic. AES sells the tube for $8 a pop, so to have a few handy just in case isn't that crazy.

Back