What keyboard has the best orchestral sounds?

SCLlama

im looking for a reasonably priced keyboard with the best orchestral sounds. I'd prefer to keep it around $1500, but if there is a big difference i'd be willing to go over.

Thanks
Ryan

I heard the Motif has some really great sounds. Not sure if they're orchestral.. and then theres the Kurzweils. I have a Roland XP-30 and i think the sounds are damn good for the price i paid.

Toad Rush said:
I heard the Motif has some really great sounds. Not sure if they're orchestral.. and then theres the Kurzweils. I have a Roland XP-30 and i think the sounds are damn good for the price i paid.

I agree about the XP30, but just to clarify, the XP30 has the SR-JV Orchestral Expansion card already built in.

I've got the roland orchestral I and II expansion cards, and you can stick them in their xp series synths. If played 'correctly', they sound pretty darn good to me too. I might be going out on a limb, but they might be used in more 'professional' settings than any other synth for orchestral sounds.

except for the XV/SRX series, their successor. Seeing as you asked for 'the best' it's hard to say how far you want to go. XV synths expandability encompasses two SRX and two JV so you could have your pick of the best orchestral set, with sufficient onboard to begin with.
On the other hand, to get 'the best' orchestral sounds and stay within ur budget, maybe you can get a setup with a controller keyboard then have your choice of the best orchestral moduke, like the jv mentioned, srx, or yamaha/kurzweil etc. Try and hear the patches for yourself in any case.

I've got to agree the Orchestral I card that comes in the the Roland XP30 has some very realistic sounds (natrually, you have to use the correct voiceings and play the sounds within thier respective ranges to make them the most authentic). In general the XP30 is a good value with a whole lot of good sounds.

Back