What is up with the 10k drop on final mix/masters...

chadsxe

I have been noticing more and more that a lot of final-pro mixes/masters have a a huge sharp drop at 10k. Why is that? Is this something that is done in mastering or is it handled when mixing? I am guessing mastering.

I haven't noticed it, but if it's true, it's sad.

I'm hypersensitive to high frequencies (above 15kHz) and I *still* fight for as much as I can get - as long as it's CLEAN, of course.

Ok, Chadsxe im guessing you are probably analysing bad MP3s and not wave files. Just a guess. But i aint ever seen any major cuts at 10K in pro mixes.
The worse an MP3s quality is then the more hi end is cut. For a 160kbps MP3 there is a high cut at 18K roughly. And the lower the kbps the bigger the hi cut gets to a certain degree.

I'll bet there's a bunch of nimrods asking their engineers to "make it sound good" on car audio systems with subwoofers that weigh more than the transmission and/or on iPods with ear buds the size of a decent spitball. Neither one of those knows what to with high end.

ecktronic said:
Ok, Chadsxe im guessing you are probably analysing bad MP3s and not wave files. Just a guess. But i aint ever seen any major cuts at 10K in pro mixes.
The worse an MP3s quality is then the more hi end is cut. For a 160kbps MP3 there is a high cut at 18K roughly. And the lower the kbps the bigger the hi cut gets to a certain degree.

Good point

I will have to back track my sources....

Back