What is this technique called?

gumplunger

Two examples in the mp3. I have no idea what the first one is called or how it's played. The second may just be fast harmonized tapping, maybe it's called something else.

The first bit sounds a bit like it could be a corruption of what is commonly called 'harp-style' and is practiced by great guitarists such as Tommy Emmanuel, Chet Atkins, Lenny Breau etc.

In this technique you use finger-style to pluck artificial harmonics alternatly with 'real' notes.

It could equally be some kind of effect.

The second part sounds like regular tapping to me.

I could be wrong - there's not much to go on on that mp3.

Last edited:
I think they're both examples of what's called the "suck ass lame licks" techniques, commonly used on lame ass music.

Just kidding (though it does sound quite like dogshit to me). It sounds like regular tapping on both accounts to me.

THe scond part sounds like tapping to me also. THe biginning almost sounds like he is using an effects pedal(i am probably wrong on that one)

It sounds like a 3 finger pull off while sliding up the neck. The FX sound like some type of modulation such as a Flanger with the speed turned up too fast and the width at about 50%.

famous beagle said:
I think they're both examples of what's called the "suck ass lame licks" techniques, commonly used on lame ass music.

Just kidding (though it does sound quite like dogshit to me). It sounds like regular tapping on both accounts to me.

I must agree.... on both points.

A

Sounds like he it tapping with a pick and using the left hand to kind of palm mute the strings so they dont ring out. He has an effect there also.

Back