What is the reason for the detachable power cords on amps?

mixsit

Ok, curious about that. But what's really silly is why when it's a combo amo -open back.. why the hell would some make them stick out the back, so when you pack the amp they can't be left in and the cord tucked in the back?

I believe that's in the regulations for all modern electronics so in case the wire gets frayed
or the plug damaged you can easily replace them and not electrocute yourself from laziness...

I have some that are hard-wired, so I don't think it's a "reg'...?.....but I actually prefer the detachable one.
All the times I've needed to move the head/amp just temporarily, and I didn't want to drag all the cords out too, since they may be snakesd behind other gear...so with the detachable, you can just pop it out and leave it there in place.

Yeah, I can see that. My 'peev is all the guitar amps, with the socket sticking straight out the back.. not even recessed to give at least a clean option to pack the amp with the cord.. less to pack and/or show up w/o it.
Closed back' I can see it makes for a bit tougher for a solution but..

You can buy IEC cords with a 90° angle;

mxyXerSYZDSoYa6IP0xChdA.jpg

And I've always theorized it is something to do so you get away with a cheaper UL or CSA approval. Ditto for anything that does not have an internal power supply, and I've seen mixers, dbx compressors, and other gear do this. Cheaper to make, cheaper to get approval, and more profit for the manufacturer.

I have some that are hard-wired, so I don't think it's a "reg'...?.

It is here these days for the reasons stated. I think there are certain applications and certain power rated equipment that requires it. I think one of the other reasons for it's popularity is that is easier to ship abroad if all you have to do is swap out the lead and fit a switch to drop or raise the load.

While those all sound like plausible answers, the correct answer is so you can strangle the drummer for hitting on your girlfriend for the last goddamned time without having to drag your entire amp over by the drums.

While those all sound like plausible answers, the correct answer is so you can strangle the drummer for hitting on your girlfriend for the last goddamned time without having to drag your entire amp over by the drums.

Best answer!

Guitarists are such pussies. They're always so threatened and scared by better musicians. If they weren't such prissy losers the drummer wouldn't be able to steal their women.

I prefer IEC cable on everything. Sadly it's not on any amp I own. I suppose I could put one on myself but really don't want to file out the hole in the back of the amp for it.

There is a local amp tech in Cuse that offers this mod on any amp with the room for it for more money than I would be willing to pay personally. But I think the benefit of IEC cable is nice. I killed the ground pin on an amp on accident and it would have been much nicer to just buy another IEC cord rather than soldier in another new one.

But in some situations I'm guessing there is a fixed power cord over IEC because of space. Fixed cord takes up less room going into the amp than an IEC socket does. I'm also guessing it's cheaper to do fixed with grommet compared to socket and cord so it probably saves a little on cost to make the amp as well.

There is also the fact that there is a lot of exporting around the world. I bought some stuff from Italy . . . they use to different shaped power outlets. No problems, just replace Italian leads with Australian.

I'm not seeing why it's a problem with combo open back amps either... just rip it off, coil it and shove it in the back.

I prefer everything to have detachable cords, especially when they're all the same - not just amps - much easier to move stuff around if there's no cord attached and if one breaks for some reason, I can go steal the one off the kettle, or the computer or whatever...

If you have loaded, humped, and installed a much electronic ***t as I have for as many years you would know how much I detest attached, grabby,dangly, flappy mains leads!

Every bit of kit I buy that has a fix lead gets an IEC makeover. If that is not possible then the fixed lead is docked to 6" and an IEC line plug fitted.

Called a good point by the way on the fact that almost nobody in the world except we uses a decent, safe power outlet and associated plug!

For combos it depends upon the construction. Those that mount the valves upside down will have a stick out lead but many have the chassis attached to the rear panel and thus the lead hangs down inside.

FECK! Guitarists are a moaney bunch!

Dave.

If you have loaded, humped, and installed a much electronic ***t as I have for as many years you would know how much I detest attached, grabby,dangly, flappy mains leads!
FECK! Guitarists are a moaney bunch!

Dave.
Damn right :D
Loading humping shlepping I too look for consolidating and minimizing- the number of pieces and the number of 'moves.

When I built my first tube amp during the 90's, securing the power cord with those compressing grommets was challenging to say the least. The cord should be able take a fair bit of pull and not pull out, the beauty of IEC cords is should the cable get yanked, that cord will disconnect should an incident occur. For us electrical engineers this is ideal, since that cord exposed area is covered, because the energy is contained. trust me a wall plug supplying 115 volts at 15 amps can get nasty when a short occurs.

I like the detachable cable. The cable is permawired on my 1979 JMP and it's kind of a pain. Not a deal breaker or anything, but my JVM's detachable cable is a better idea.

Never would happen would it........ get to a gig and find that your detachable cable got left back home. :eek: :)

Maybe someone has one you could borrow, right? :rolleyes:

That would be your own damn fault.

And you could always swipe one off a cash register or computer monitor or jukebox or video poker machine.

That would be your own damn fault.

And you could always swipe one off a cash register or computer monitor or jukebox or video poker machine.

Indeed or you could buy one from almost any electrical shop, Currys, Maplin, Radshak, but Powercons are much rarer. In any case, I would not want want locking leads on stacked amps!

Dave.

Unrecessed sticking out the back' of inst amps aside, considering packing things like the mixer, and a lot of things, yeah I'll agree detachable is preferable.
And per being one of those (in some cases that can mean the one!) to helps insure the gig happens -whether from my fuck up' or not-- A spare in my guitar kit bag, a spare in the mixer box, one in the cable and mic cases.. etc, etc..
:)

Back