What is the latest in home recording?

David40

Been out of it for a while and I was wondering how much things may have improved. I used to use Sonar but i was always disappointed the any effects had to be applied post recording. There was that Roland recording system that could apply live effects but only a very limited number were available and you had to pay extra for each one. What is the top of the line home recording equipment capable of these days?

Thanks

I used to use Sonar but i was always disappointed the any effects had to be applied post recording

What? Why? Also, I think you can apply effects while recording depending on the DAW, but I don't why you would have any reason for doing that. I'm just going to change them around later, anyway.

if you get a powerful enough computer, a lot more is possible than ever before, for one thing DAW's are becoming more and more CPU efficient, I used to own a roland VS2000 back in the day which had the fx thing you mentioned, since getting a PC around 10 years ago I've never looked back, the only thing I truly miss are analog faders and having no screen but that's it.

Lot of choices on plugs.

Prices have come down and capability have gone up.

Virtual drums are very good these days.

Everything is 64bit now.

Computer processing power has improved significantly and so has the amount of storage available.

Video is more prevalent, but still not mainstream for the home recording enthusiast. At least not at this site.

Guitars are still the same and so are amps.

More and more Chinese mics on the market. Some are good.

What else? IDK.

Personally, how I play is directly related to what I am hearing, so I want to hear as close to the finished product as I am playing. I just play better when my instrument sounds really good.

I looked it up and it was the Roland V Studio I was talking about. It was integrated with Sonar but had it's own effects processors so there was no latency from forcing the CPU to handle that. I did some shopping around and there is a Yamaha 01V96i mixer that is integrated with Cuebase AI. I definitely want to check that out. I also emailed Cakewalk to see if they have integrated Sonar into any other hardware like they did with the Roland V Studio. I particularly like Yamaha mixers because they apparently use very high quality preamps, and that can make a big difference in the quality of your sound especially for hi dynamic volumes like drums.

Thanks for the update on the state of the latest.

If anyone comes across any other outstanding hardware/software integrated systems please share.

Just slap a VST effect (or several) on your track and monitor via the DAW. You get to hear what it's going to sound like "on tape", at the expense of a little latency. With a good enough audio interface, the latency is trivial.

I'm going to need to take a little trip and visit the area Sam Ash store to check out the Pro Audio department. Will be educational to see what they are pushing these days. after two years I'll bet I won't even recognize it anymore.

Two years? Jeez, it sounded like you'd been out of the loop for a decade or two. Not a bunch has changed in that short time. Things are a little cheaper, so faster is more within reach. Get a fast computer, hook up a good interface, and you're set.

Personally, how I play is directly related to what I am hearing, so I want to hear as close to the finished product as I am playing. I just play better when my instrument sounds really good.

Then get that sound before the signal even hits the interface using either an amp or a hardware amp sim. If you want to keep your options open you can split the signal with a direct box and capture the dry signal from the guitar on its own track for later re-amping.

The price of using a computer for realtime processing of a live input is latency. There's always going to be a bit of a delay. Whether that matters depends on whether it's enough to bother you.

Something with a 'i in front of it?

;)
I'm fighting rejuvenating my DAW. It's 32bit ...but it works.

Something with a 'i in front of it?

;)
I'm fighting rejuvenating my DAW. It's 32bit ...but it works.

I can't say the "i" thing is the latest, but portable recording definitely is a lot easier. I have about $600 invested in a rack unit, rack power and some pre-amps, cheap laptop and I can get 16 channels of pretty decent recording. I think 10-15+ years ago it would have taken damn near a mobile van to get that type of recording power.

Back