what is the difference between the Marshall mxl-2003 and the mars V93M ? (nt)

AFAIK they are the exact same mic. I'm not sure why MXL insists on coming out with 2 or 3 model names for the same mic.

interestingly enough they even have different body casings - one silver the other black. So the 93m hasn't been tweaked or modified in any way?

Thanks!

The thinking goes something like this:

Dealer or Distributor: Hey, I'd carry your products, but if I hafta match prices, I can't make any money.

Manufacturer: What if we can create a special model that other dealers can't get? That way, nobody can ask you to price match. Of course you'd hafta buy a lot of mics, but they'd be special to you.

Or the Dealer or Distributor might say: What if you make a special model that other dealers or distributors can't get? That way, nobody can ask us to price match. Of course we'd buy a lot of mics, but they'd be special to us.

The mattress industry works the same way. "We'll beat any price on the same model", but they know that all the mattresses they carry have a special model number that only they use.

Grocery stores use the same technique with their house brands.

mic

>I'm not sure why MXL insists on coming out with 2 or 3 model names for the same mic

It's a marketing strategy (gimmick)

Harvey Gerst said:
The thinking goes something like this:

Dealer or Distributor: Hey, I'd carry your products, but if I hafta match prices, I can't make any money.

Manufacturer: What if we can create a special model that other dealers can't get? That way, nobody can ask you to price match. Of course you'd hafta buy a lot of mics, but they'd be special to you.

Or the Dealer or Distributor might say: What if you make a special model that other dealers or distributors can't get? That way, nobody can ask us to price match. Of course we'd buy a lot of mics, but they'd be special to us.

The mattress industry works the same way. "We'll beat any price on the same model", but they know that all the mattresses they carry have a special model number that only they use.

Grocery stores use the same technique with their house brands.

What's funny is that in Mars' case this totally defeats the purpose, since they generally have lower prices than everyone else.

Maybe it's the other retailers who say: "I don't want to carry it if I have to match Mars' price." :)

However, you can get the MXL 2003 from zZounds for the same price (actually, 4 cents cheaper!) as Mars Music sells the v93.

MXL 2003
zZounds
$149.95
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/love.music?p=p.MSHMXL2003&z=1416640739676

MXL v93
Mars Music
$149.99
http://www.marsmusic.com/store/product_template.jhtml?catid=585&prodid=prod510118&primarySkuId=14253

So I don't get the v93/2003 naming convention either, folks. Seeing as though they are the same mic (or as a Mars representative told me in an e-mail, "the v93 is most similar to the 2003") it came down to color for me and so I just ordered up a 2003 because I preferred the black color to the silver.

chessrock said:

And just what is it you got against silver, huh buddy? What did it ever do to you? :)

Heh heh, now THAT's funny. :D You crack me up sometimes, Chessrock. Silver has never done anything to me. I just figured if they were the same price, then it the only difference between them was the color and then it was a choice of aesthetics!

Also, I've been meaning to ask you, on that Binaural Recording Test MP3, are the mics you're using the ECM8000s? If so, wow, nice and crisp... I do really need to get me a pair of those.

silver is the color of the bullet that killed my one true love werewolfgirl.

"champagne" colored equipment is ok...

Fontcow said:
on that Binaural Recording Test MP3, are the mics you're using the ECM8000s? If so, wow, nice and crisp... I do really need to get me a pair of those.

yup. no excuse not to have a pair now, hu?

Ok, can anyone spot the V93M... is that your final answer.
Gee, maybe I was looking for a reason to post my recent pics of my home set-up. AS you can see, I like the MXL mics for their price point.

I think the color "silver" is real nice. ;)

Bowisc

Attachments

• fullsetup1-4web.gif
    fullsetup1-4web.gif
    60.4 KB · Views: 78
Harvey is right on about the name game!

I sold carpet for a few long months and I won't mention the locally owned carpet chain by name but they had the price match guarantee and changed all the names of the products to ones of their own invention. No special order or distinguishing colors just different names for the same stuff.

For some really odd reason no one could compare his prices with the same product in any store but his.....;)

I'm glad we have resources here to tell us the inside scoop:cool:

bowisc is mostly a keyboard dude!

i am impressed that you live in new york city.

i have decided that when i have my act together i will have to go there.

i have lived in l.a. area and nashville but i have never been to new york. i was born in chicago and also lived in orlando so theres pretty much the major recording cities right there!

bowisc what kind of music do you do? do you do it all yourself or record other people?

Jeap/Chess, thanks. Glad you like 'em. I am having fun w/ my new digital camera.

I"m really a guitarist/singer and dummer. But I also play keyboards "okay". I can lay down bass tracks if needed.

But what I really enjoy is the art of recording music, whether they are mine or others'. My first recording was at 16 on a Fostex 4-track. That was cool. Lead vocals, piano, strings... and tons of reverb. ;) Those were the days. I just got my set-up in January of this year, thanks to a generous bonus from work.

What kind of music? Mostly stuff between folk/acoustic rock to alternative-sound. I also enjoy doing a little bit of scoring for stuff like small dramatizations that my wife puts together for our youth group.

The pics should be updated by the end of summer '02 (hint).

Bowisc

Back