What is the difference between Rode's NT5 and NT3?

BookSix

NT5's arfe sold in a pair for 300 and NT3's and 150 each. So they cost the same? What is the difference. Since the NT1 is better than than NT5, I would assume the NT3 is better that The NT5. True?

These mics are two different animals...............the NT3 is a 3/4" diaphram, the NT5 is a 1/2"...............that's just for starters.

I can only presume by your question, that you haven't even bothered to check out RODE's site with mic specs...............I strongly suggest doing so before asking things like this. Also, look up reviews on both mics.

:cool:

I just re-read your post.............

Where the fuck did you get the idea that an NT1 was better than an NT5?

The NT1 was RODE's early 1" large diapram mic, that not only can not be fairly compared to an NT5, but has been left behind by numerous well priced LD mics that offer much better performance.

:rolleyes: :cool:

Because the model # is lower, and since the NT0 is the best Rode there is :) we can assume that the lower the #, the better the mic. I heard they're coming out with a NT-1

(In case you missed it, here's another :) )

ausrock said:
I just re-read your post.............

Where the f**k did you get the idea that an NT1 was better than an NT5?

The NT1 was RODE's early 1" large diapram mic, that not only can not be fairly compared to an NT5, but has been left behind by numerous well priced LD mics that offer much better performance.

:rolleyes: :cool:

Wow, calm.... I just noticed that I couldn't afford the nt1's at this time for my drum mic kit (which is what a guy I know uses) and since it was more expensive than both nt3's and 5's I assumed it was there higher quality mic. So which mic would be better for drum overheads? the 3 or the 5?

As the NT5's are relatively new kids on the block, it will be hard to get a reliable opinion on them until there are lots more out there in use. The other point is that........."which mic is best" can be a very subjective/personal thing.........depending on the room's acoustics, type of kit/cymbals being recorded, where the mics are positioned, blah blah.

Ideally, if you have access to a retailer with a good return policy, I would suggest you "buy" different pairs of mics and try them out in your recording space then return them until you find the mics you like, but don't limit yourself to RODEs..........also look at Marshall Electronics MXL 603s, Oktava MC-012 and possibly Behringer ECM 8000 (these are omni, so they will pick up much more room noise, but work well if postitioned correctly). All of these mics are capable of giving great results as O/heads............IF they are used correctly.

:cool:

Back