WHAT is the difference between an AUDIO INTERFACE and MIXER?

PXalpine

Hello all, this is my first post here:

Here's a question that's puzzled me for a while. What exactly is the difference between an audio interface and mixer? To my understanding, the audio interface records the sounds from the mic and lets you put the recorded sounds to your computer for editing. But doesn't the mixer do the same thing?

Thanks for any clarification!

An audio interface is a "box" that you plug your mics and instruments into, and then plug it into your computer via firewire or usb. A mixer is somewhat the same thing, in the sense that you plug your mics and instruments into it, but mixers are used typically for live sound, as most do not have a usb or firewire connection.

So audio interface is for recording, mixer is for live sound (and can be used in studios on occasion)

A digital audio interface is simply whatever interfaces with the recorder (in this case, probably a computer).

Some mixers have some sort of built-in interface (a converter with a USB or FireWire), most don't. Some interfaces are "dumb" and just pass the digital signal (ADAT or AES cards, etc.).

Technically, your sound card is an audio interface. Technically...

A microphone produces a varying electrical current.

An A/D (A = analog, D = digital) converter changes a varying electrical current into a series of '0's and '1's, which is what the computer can make use of.

An audio interface is a device that has an A/D converter for getting audio stuff into the computer, and the opposite, a D/A converter, for getting stuff out of the computer.

This is, in fact, what a computer's sound card does.

An audio interface, then, is no different to a computer's sound card, except that it is designed specifically for recording applications. For example, it can simultaneously do D/A converting while it is doing A/D converting. This makes it possible to record something along with something that you've already recorded and are playing back.

Similarly, an interface can do a number of functions that are useful for recording, such as offering a range of monitoring functions, allowing simultaneous multi-track recording, or providing MIDI capabilities.

An interface generally has ADA conversion, and a mixer generally does not.

Otherwise, many functions can overlap.

Specifically again, an interface does NOT necessarily have converters. None of mine do... Otherwise, I couldn't choose what converters I'd be using at any given time.

Some do - Some don't. Of those that do, some might have mic preamps, others will only run at line level. Some of those might connect to other interfaces, some won't.

Specifically again, an interface does NOT necessarily have converters. None of mine do... Otherwise, I couldn't choose what converters I'd be using at any given time.

Some do - Some don't. Of those that do, some might have mic preamps, others will only run at line level. Some of those might connect to other interfaces, some won't.

Yep. I was just explaining what ADA meant. :)

Back