What is the deal with panning/level controls in Sonar 2.2

Khompewtur

*Retired*
It seems like if I send audio to a sub-mix then the main controls for panning don't seem to work.

Does anyone know what the routing rules for this are? Like is there any way I can just say I want every possible pan control involved with that track (or even better, group of tracks) to change a specified amount.

As of right now I am changing the pan on the main track, then I have to set the panning on each individual bus used by the tracks and it becomes really tedious. Any help appreciated.

I recall there being a routing diagram in the Sonar manual. Have you checked there?

The "main pan" controls the dry track panning, and the bus pan controls the wet panning of that track. If you want both the dry and wet tracks panned the same, you need to set both pan controls. I am not aware of any way to group them.

Yeah i've looked at the manual several times. I'm looking at the routing diagram right now and it's confirmed that I've understood the routing correctly.

Maybe I should rephrase my question.

Let's say I have multiple tracks going to multiple busses. If I am sending to a bus at 0db I was under the impression that my signal from that track would comprise 100%bus 0%dry.

When i send to a bus and change the pan on the track control (not bus pan) I don't detect any difference but perhaps I'm just not hearing it. I do detect panning when i change the activated bus pan control. So my question is does the main pan control get shut off when you go to a bus or does it mix 100%bus 100%dry.

Now at this point let's say I have 6 tracks all going to 2 busses and I want to change the stereo spread.

I know when you group tracks together you can change the levels of multiple tracks with one action.

Is there any way to group the bus pannings, level controls? Instead of having to make 6x3 adjustments for bus pan to something less labor intensive?

Are the Bus(es) set Pre or Post fader??

What is the volume setting of the Track fader in your example?

Let's say I have multiple tracks going to multiple busses. If I am sending to a bus at 0db I was under the impression that my signal from that track would comprise 100%bus 0%dry.
That's not my understanding. That would only be the case if you had it set as pre-fader, and you had the track fader pulled all the way down to infinity.

I generally set mine up as post fader. Then I use the Aux send control to control my wet-dry ratio, and use the track fader to establish overall volume of the track within the mix.

If I want to pan, then I set both pan controls to where I want them. (Usually I set them the same, although there are effects you can achieve by sending the wet signal to a different panning position than the dry signal.)

As I said earlier, I know of no way to group them.

dachay2tnr said:
Are the Bus(es) set Pre or Post fader??

What is the volume setting of the Track fader in your example?

That's not my understanding. That would only be the case if you had it set as pre-fader, and you had the track fader pulled all the way down to infinity.

I generally set mine up as post fader. Then I use the Aux send control to control my wet-dry ratio, and use the track fader to establish overall volume of the track within the mix.

If I want to pan, then I set both pan controls to where I want them. (Usually I set them the same, although there are effects you can achieve by sending the wet signal to a different panning position than the dry signal.)

As I said earlier, I know of no way to group them.

Ahhh.. thanks for the response.

All the buses are set by default to "Post". I guess what i was noticing was that panning the dry signal seemed to be having a very slight if almost neglible impact on the overall panning of the track.

I have been setting the pan on dry and wet to the same values but still man that can become a real pain if you're trying to experiment around with many tracks.

I haven't come across a reason to use any effects in the "Pre" mode yet, any reason why you would want to use "Pre" over post?

Are you sending several tracks to an Aux buss, but you want a single effect on them and for the effect to follow all the track(s) pan(s)?
Having the efect less than 100% wet would tend to dilute the track pan's effect, and pre or post, the effect send is befor the track pan so...:)

Have you tried grouping the controls? I can't recall grouping dissimilar controls, but don't know why you couldn't.

Pre-effects? Here's one. Reverb send, pull the fader down, the track fades into the reverb.
:)
Wayne

Back