What is the best sounding module for real instrument sounds????

Chaotic

Im looking to purchase a module, hopefully in the $500 (used) range. I dont need anymore synth sounds, dont care about a sequencer or a sampler. I just want awesome quality real instrument sounds: most importantly vibes, bass guitar, piano, harp, strings, horns.

what are your suggestions? I was looking into: Proteus 2000, Trinity rack, JV 3080, maybe a Motif (a lil more then $500 though)

I own a Motif rack and a Triton le keyboard, so I’ll give you my personal opinion on these two.

Motif
Piano: A
Electric Pianos: B
Guitars: B
bass: C
Solo horns: B
Solo reeds and woodwinds: A
Solo strings: B
Ensemble strings: C
Ensemble Brass: C
Chorus: D

Triton
Piano: D
Electric Pianos: A
Guitars: C
bass: B
Solo horns: C
Solo reeds and woodwinds: C
Solo strings: C
Ensemble strings: A
Ensemble Brass: B
Chorus: A

Personally, if I were to be doing something where individual acoustic instruments need to stand out and shine, I’ll go to the Motif. For instance, if I had to play a piano solo or a sax solo for my band, the Motif is what I’d use.

The Triton’s strength is in the ensemble… the individual acoustic instruments don’t stack up to the Motif, IMO. The whole is definitely greater than the sum of the parts with the triton, I love sequencing with it. For doing backgrounds or fillers, it’s better than the Motif also, IMO.

- Gunther

Chaotic said:
I dont need anymore synth sounds, dont care about a sequencer or a sampler. I just want awesome quality real instrument sounds: most importantly vibes, bass guitar, piano, harp, strings, horns.
Uhh, sorry but synths and samplers are real instruments. They're so real that each has its own character. And in some cases, there are even tonal differences from unit to unit of a same model... just like a violin ;) You mean you want something that does good acoustic sounds.

Kurzweil K2600 (with the Triple Strike Piano ROM, Orchestral ROM and Contemporary ROM). Actually, in your case I'd probably opt for a Kurzweil PC2 or PC2X with the Orchestral ROM unless the idea of deep programmalbe workstation appeals to you (in which case nothing comes close to the K2600, at least in the hardware).

Or...

Motif ES.

Chaotic said:
Im looking to purchase a module, hopefully in the $500 (used) range. I dont need anymore synth sounds, dont care about a sequencer or a sampler. I just want awesome quality real instrument sounds: most importantly vibes, bass guitar, piano, harp, strings, horns.

what are your suggestions? I was looking into: Proteus 2000, Trinity rack, JV 3080, maybe a Motif (a lil more then $500 though)

It depends on function. Let me ask a few questions:

- Do you HAVE to play these sounds live, or is this for recording only?
- Do you have a relatively modern computer with a decent sequencer?

If you answered no to the first and yes to the second, then I'd advise you to look into the world of software synthesis! If all you're looking to do is fool people into thinking they are hearing the real instruments, then it's THE way to go. Any sound off of EastWest's Quantum Leap Orchestra Silver Edition (a software orchestra library for $150), will knock the socks off of anything a Triton Extreme can do in terms of absolute realism.

The other problem with software is that it's a bit more of a pain to use in my opinion. I still always sequence everything on my SoundCanvas first, just because it's so much easier!

Of course, you want more than just orchestra sounds. You want vibes and basses and stuff too. Another excellent EastWest synth is Collosus. You just don't get better than that for a library of realistic sounding instruments for that kind of price...which admittedly is about double your budget.

So, now that that's out of the way, I think we can assume that software WON'T work for you, and that you'll need to play whatever it is live, and probably don't care to set up a computer powerful enough to handle softsynths, am I right? Assuming this is indeed the scenario, here's my under $500 hardware take:

For under $500, the top current workstations (Motif, Triton, FantomX, etc.) are out. The way the hardware synth market works, you're almost better off, from an economical perspective, buying whatever was hot BEFORE what's current. Assuming you're looking for a good easy-to-use digital patch-based synth...Something like a Roland XV-5050 or a Yamaha MU-100 (or MU-128 if you can find one). For more acoustic-seeming patches, I think I'd lean towards the Yamaha (it uses the same expansion cards as the Motif), which can be Ebayed for around $300 these days. Motif Racks themselves have been going for $600-$800 on Ebay pretty easily these days, so it might be worth holding out for one of those too.

As mentioned earlier, a K2600 with the right upgrade ROMs will beat the snot out of any of these suggestions. But you wouldn't have mentioned a $500 budget if you could spend $3000 on Kurz, now would you?

If you really want to try something wild, further down the road, if you get one of these Yamaha modules...you could get the physical modelling upgrade for them. I've only gotten to use it a little bit. It's...hard to describe. It's like the sounds are realistic...but they don't sound like the real instruments...it's really bizarre, and quite unlike any other synth I've ever used....and also quite impossible to explain.

Or buy GigaStudio and start investing in libraries for all the instruments you mentioned. You can't get more realistic that a sample of the actual instrument.

Phyl said:
Or buy GigaStudio and start investing in libraries for all the instruments you mentioned. You can't get more realistic that a sample of the actual instrument.

True that...though I've never been able to get Giga to work right personally, and most people I know who use it admit that it's a pain the ass.

...actually, I find EastWest's plugin libraries more realistic-sounding than most GIGs, except maybe Vienna.

Phyl said:
You can't get more realistic that a sample of the actual instrument.

Well, not for that particular sampled note, played at that particular velocity with that particular decay. The problem with actual samples is that instruments react differently at different pitches/velocities. An actual sample sounds perfectly authentic--until you try to stanbrform it to fit the expression that you want with whatever YOU are writing, and it often sounds. . . wrong. Synths are often note very authentic sounding, but at least they are programmed to follow an instrument's timbre qualities across different pitch and velocity ranges.

Bottom line: actual samples generally sounds more "real," but are not as flexible as synths (depending on how many different "real" samples you have at your disposal). Does anybody know wat I'm talking about?

By the way, anyone interested in this topic should definitely look up the above link to EastWest's Quantum Leap whatever, and check out the mp3 samples. . . INCREDIBLE! Just those examples have pointed my nose in the direction of soft synths for my "next big purchase."

Kore said:
By the way, anyone interested in this topic should definitely look up the above link to EastWest's Quantum Leap whatever, and check out the mp3 samples. . . INCREDIBLE! Just those examples have pointed my nose in the direction of soft synths for my "next big purchase."

Yeah, and crazy thing is, that's the CHEAP version. Did you hear the demos of the Platinum Edition? Though, among other things, the Platinum Edition recommends using no less than EIGHT top-of-the-line computers to run it in real time in 24-bit! Crazy crazy stuff. Silver Edition is quite usable in realtime on a relatively powerful laptop.

Makes you wonder what the upcoming QLSO Platinum Pro is going to recommend.

I have to confess: I really dislike software synths. I still sequence everything for my silver Roland box (SC-8850) first, and then render each track into softsynths later. You could probably use Platinum Edition like that, and just work with one track at a time (what a pain!)

Phyl said:
And spending countless hours editing your sequences, so that you fit the articulations with the phrasing of your music... GigaStudio has one of the weakest sampling engines, which is why it requires all those gigabytes worth of samples. The end result still sounds sterile.

I'm with Kore on this one. For actual performance a synth/sampler or a physical modeling synth is better suited.

Back