What is the Best Route???

carbonscoring

So obviously i'm new to this otherwise i wouldnt be posting in this group. Here's my situtation that i really need help with. I would like to know the best way to record simotanous tracks to to PC recording software. Such as if i wanted to mic off the Bass drum, snare, high hat, and maybe an overhead mic. And record all at once. Right know im just recording one track at a time. And i've been using Cakewalk Pro 9. The bad part is that i have alot of recording software and hardware but i dont have the skill right know to really put it to work. I have a friend that gave me Cakewalk Sonar and Acid 4.0. I also have acess to an 8 track digtal Adat via. a friend, however i dont have a mixing board. My computer is pretty well off. It's pentium 3 800mhz, with 128mb of RAM, pleant of storage space, and a soundblaster Live. So i have this equipment or acess to but, im just unsure on where i should proceed from here. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!!

Thanks-----------Carbonscoring

One way is to get a soundcard with as many inputs as the number of tracks you want to record simultaneously.

giaschel said:
One way is to get a soundcard with as many inputs as the number of tracks you want to record simultaneously.

Thanks.......do you have any suggestions on which soundcards are good and have a good amount of inputs. I've always liked what Creative Labs makes although i havent really tested any other ones.

-----carbonscoring--------

ACID 4?

Doubtful, Sonic Foundry is only at version 3. :D

Soundcard shopping mantra:

Don't buy a soundcard until you KNOW it is compatible with your Motherboard Chipset and has drivers for your OS.

Check manufacturer's websites, or this forum on specifics. I understand Sonar works well with Win2K, so I'd look for a soundcard that has good WDM drivers. Try M-Audio, see if they'll work with your MOBO.

Queue

Depends on your budget of course. And on the quality you're looking for. Echo, M-Audio, Lynx, are popular on this BBS among other brands. SB cards can sometime be considered poor by pros but some people achieve great things with it. I don't know if they offer any cards with many inputs.

Check each brand's website for what's available.

Do a search in the "Computer Recording and Soundcard" forum. You'll find plenty of opinions.

As Q mentioned, check compatibility as well.

This is a pretty important gear for computer recording so take all the time you need for research.

Good luck!

Back