What is the best mic for me??

fubu

Im lookin into buying my first mic. To start of, I have many questions, but here are some things I would want from this mic.

I will be doing mostly hip-hop/RnB vocals.

Whats the difference between something that goes in the mic jack, and something that connects via usb.

It is my first mic, so I want something with great value, something to more-so help me learn the ropes. As for the price range, i'm peaking at $100.

I am wondering if I will need to buy any extra equipment for this mic, and would prefer something in which extra equipment is not required.

I have researched and it seems like the B1 and SM57 are the most popular choices, so if I choose one of these two mics, will I have to buy extra equipment to record???

Last edited:
you;ll need a few things:

1) Microphone ($100) - Skip usb. The B1 has been well documented on this site, so search and see if it fits your needs. It should be ok to start with.
2) Software ($40) - You need something to record to. Check out reaper. Fully functioning demo with no expiration, $40 when you decide to man up and support the guys making it. It will be better than anything else you can get for cheap, and possibly almost as good as stuff you'd pay 10X that much for.
3) Interface ($100+) - USB is cheaper than firewire and should be fine for you. There are a bunch for $100-$150 that will be good for a long while. Do a search for interfaces.
4) Whatever you're gonna use to make beats and music.
5) Speakers - You can start with your computer speakers, but you'll need some monitors in the future (probably minimum $300).

Then plug the mic into the interface, record to Reaper and you're set (other than learning how to use all of the stuff). So for under $300 you could have a nice long term set up. Anything less and you'll be very frustrated and not get good results (my opinion/experience of course).

good luck!

you;ll need a few things:

1) Microphone ($100) - Skip usb. The B1 has been well documented on this site, so search and see if it fits your needs. It should be ok to start with.
2) Software ($40) - You need something to record to. Check out reaper. Fully functioning demo with no expiration, $40 when you decide to man up and support the guys making it. It will be better than anything else you can get for cheap, and possibly almost as good as stuff you'd pay 10X that much for.
3) Interface ($100+) - USB is cheaper than firewire and should be fine for you. There are a bunch for $100-$150 that will be good for a long while. Do a search for interfaces.
4) Whatever you're gonna use to make beats and music.
5) Speakers - You can start with your computer speakers, but you'll need some monitors in the future (probably minimum $300).

Then plug the mic into the interface, record to Reaper and you're set (other than learning how to use all of the stuff). So for under $300 you could have a nice long term set up. Anything less and you'll be very frustrated and not get good results (my opinion/experience of course).

good luck!

I guess the B1/SM57 it is then. The software I am not worried about as I have a friend who makes a lot of beats, he is pretty good with the audio engineering stuff. But what is this "interface" thing. Could you please explain in very simple terms :o

search this site or google "usb audio interface". it's how you get the mic to interface with the software.

search this site or google "usb audio interface". it's how you get the mic to interface with the software.

i did and i still havent found out why i need it :(

One of my friends had a setup where he just had this Apex 440 and it was plugged in via usb and he was just recording like that so this is why I am confused about that interface stuff.

if you did not understand what came back when you searched usb interface, then the rest of recording is going to be very confusing.

you can just plug in usb mics, but that is a tiny step up from using the built in ones in your laptop. Go ahead and get the apex 440, if it's what you know works.

Good luck, but I think another hobby might be in order.

if you did not understand what came back when you searched usb interface, then the rest of recording is going to be very confusing.

you can just plug in usb mics, but that is a tiny step up from using the built in ones in your laptop. Go ahead and get the apex 440, if it's what you know works.

Good luck, but I think another hobby might be in order.

Really? because my hobby is not setting up the equipment, it's not learning all the techincal stuff, my hobby is to just write, and say what I want on a song. That being said, I am very interested in learning the technical stuff.

I have no cravings for the apex 440 as I know it is a bad mic. I did try to research, which is why I came up with the two options in the beginning of the SM57/B1.

I am just wondering how big of a jump to the next level will it be if I buy all this interface stuff right now.

It depends on your goals. To just get something down so you can sell the ideal / song. Or something a kin to a commercial CD that you can sell as the final product.

All I wanted to do was to record a musical ensemble ala soccer mom style. But without failing to do so if it rained. Or having the typical youtube quality. $3K in audio gear later and I'm almost happy audio wise. I'd still like about $1.5K more in microphones and rigging. And probably $1K in video / lighting gear later. And drooling over some $6K+ cameras, $1K+ rigging, and other things. Dollar for dollar, unless it's your business per say, renting has it's advantages. Or dis-advantages if you don't live near a rental place. Meanwhile craigslist is your friend. Buy used, sell used, equals free rental, or as close as one can get.

Well if your looking for a relatively cheap setup.
This is what I did:
An audio interface: Tascam US-122L
Cables
Shure Sm58 mic
Headphones
Then you would connect the interface up with the computer via USB.
The mic would connect into the interface using one cable.
Then you'd set interface up with music software.
And there you go.
(also there are slots for guitars and a midi keyboard if thats what your after)

I am just wondering how big of a jump to the next level will it be if I buy all this interface stuff right now.

Its not that big a jump, USB mics are crap and a waist of your money for a bunch of reasons. Check out an MXL V67G on ebay they're under $100 and made for recording. Then pick an interface with a mic-pre and phantom power, from Tascam or M-audio. This is stuff you can keep, sound good and use for a long time.

Back