What is the absolute best mic (under $200)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A matched pair of Rode NT5s would almost fit your budget, but how can we say it is the "Best"? That's a very subjective question. Are we doing drum overheads that we need high and low? Are we recording a choir? Go to Sweetwater or Guitar Center and do a search for microphones and limit the $$$ to your budget. Look on Craigslist and see what's available locally.

You're going to get so many varied responses to a "What's the best..." question that it is almost useless to ask. Sorry if we aren't giving you the answers you want, but I don't think that question will get an answer you want. So take some time: find some mikes in your price range, do some comparison shopping online, google and read some reviews, get your head wrapped around about where you need to be and come back with a "would you buy A or B" comparison and you might get a better set of answers.

I have about 4 different mics so far and I will be honest, even now, I couldn't tell you which ones are the best. I have to AKGs 190's for acoustic guitar, Octavia and an Se for vocals and some SM7s for stuff. All under $200, but couldn't and wouldn't say they are the best. This is what I have it this is what I work with until I find something better for what I need it for.

I do think there are a few here who can help guide you to some good ones, but the "best" answer, pretty sure you won't get that answer.

How about that. I wonder what "mature" answer he wanted us to tell him? :confused:
Obviously reality didn't work.

It's such a crap shoot to buy mics. You can read all you want on the internet, but until you get one in your studio and track through it, you'll never know.

Same goes for buying monitors. Listening to them in the store just doesn't cut it. Which I think I said in your monitor thread.

Well, I understand. I thought I did the best I could with the monitors. Short of bringing home 18 pair of monitors they had in my price range and returning the ones I didn't like, listening in the acoustic chamber (vault) was my only other option. I took an spl app and a freq response app on a smart phone (which are probably not perfect, but at least they were consistent :)). I took really good notes at three different listening levels (55db, 85db and as loud as they'd get before noticeable breakup.) One set I had to give up around 110db as it was getting toward pain threshhold. They sounded good all the way up, but I'd never listen at that level anyway.

I'll be going back and doing the same with the Behri's JBL's and M-Audio set. I spent 4 hours on 18 sets of speakers, and though some went away after a few minutes, others I listened to for 20-30 minutes. I'd like to put some quality time at about the 85db mark for each of the contenders. I may regret my purchase next week, but it will be based on the best data available (both reviews, queries and actual experience). Listening in my currently (basically) untreated room would be useless anyway. I'm about to drop $1000 on acoustic treatment (See JBHunts sticky in studio and acoustic treatment). If you have any input on the treatment, I'd love to hear it.

Don't mind jacking a thread that got flushed :D

These types of questions are a bit dual-edged. I can understand why a new person might think there is actually a simple answer. Then you you get some knowledge about this and find out it isn't so.

Forget it, I'll go elsewhere where I can get replies that are mature.

You need thicker skin.

If it helps consider this.... what is the best pen for under $5.... perhaps, what is the best car for under $20,000?

My point is of course is that YOU are the only one that can answer this question.

Guess I missed it.. Or did he actually include mic for what (before deleting?

Yes, he wrote a very detailed post setting out the precise uses he was intending for the mic. His lengthy post showed he fully understood microphones, but he said he had not been involved with recording for the past 5 years and was looking for information about current, new mics.

He received many sarcastic dismissive replies, and I've noticed that several of those replies have been deleted, probably by a moderator I suppose.

It's a pity that someone can't ask for microphone information without getting replies from jackasses.

Yes, he wrote a very detailed post setting out the precise uses he was intending for the mic. His lengthy post showed he fully understood microphones, but he said he had not been involved with recording for the past 5 years and was looking for information about current, new mics.

He received many sarcastic dismissive replies, and I've noticed that several of those replies have been deleted, probably by a moderator I suppose.

It's a pity that someone can't ask for microphone information without getting replies from jackasses.

No replies were deleted. Only the OP's post was edited by him/you(?)

You can only edit your own posts, not the posts of other people, unless you're a moderator. I notice that 2 replies are "definitely" not there any more. I suspect those replies are the ones that the OP is referring to. There's a few different moderators on this site, just because you didn't delete those posts Chile doesn't mean another person or moderator didn't delete them. Move on Chile, it's not important.

You can only edit your own posts, not the posts of other people, unless you're a moderator. I notice that 2 replies are "definitely" not there any more. I suspect those replies are the ones that the OP is referring to. There's a few different moderators on this site, just because you didn't delete those posts Chile doesn't mean another person or moderator didn't delete them. Move on Chile, it's not important.

Yeah, you're right, not important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back