What Is "Rewire" And How To Use It?

Just that. I don't understand how to operate it. What exactly does it do? I'm having a lot of trouble getting my FL Studio intruments into Reaper, so could it be of any use to me?

I've looked up Rewire in Wikipedia but it's just gobbldegook to me. Can anyone explain in plain English, please?

Thanks

Dr. V

From reading the wikipedia article, yes.
You could use rewire to allow Reaper to treat FL studio like an external synthesizer (thereby gaining the sounds of it's instruments).

How you would do that is beyond me, but I've never tried to use it.
As far as the gobbledeygook goes, it's gonna end up making more sense to you faster if you just learn the language that's been developed to describe these things than expecting other people to try and invent a new way of describing them that might connect with some sort of frame of reference you may or may not already have.

My .02

As far as I've been able to tell, ReWire is like a virtual cable between two audio applications. You could use reason's instruments with a DAW's sequencer and clock. Its something I use, so I can use all of the instruments that come with reason, but use a sequencer I'm more comfortable in.

The wikipedia article lists a group of hosts and clients.The host is the application that recieves whatever the client is outputting.

Thanks... That's kinda what I thought it did... (I don't know why but I never trust computers when they do sumthin' nice...:D). You get the idea.

Yup... That's the new language I was looking for, Cancers. Makes sense now.

We learn the language by comparing examples to our frame of reference. It's the natural way of things.

Only problem is, although I've dug out a 'wire between FL Studio (slave) and Reaper (as host) my MIDI controller keyboard won't trigger anything, like it does when I run FL on standalone.

Also, I cannot get the keyboard to work within Reaper, either.

This is quite annoying. I thought it was too damn good to be true, which is why I asked. Anyone got any troubleshooting tips please? I've run out of ideas.

Thanks again

Dr. V

Last edited:
doesnt FL studio work as a VST instrument in Reaper? :confused:

Well, yes, it does, as a matter of fact. I only found that out yesterday yet, everyone talks about it as though it's old news! :mad:

I would never, in a million years, have thought an entire application could work as a VST instrument!

So, given now that life is full of the most extraordinary surprises - what reason have I to rule out the possibility that Microsoft Word works as a VST? Now there are pixies at the bottom of my garden, growing strange mushrooms...

Dr. V

Back