what is it with hitsquad.com?

Secret Clubhous

On the suggestion of some posting here about software, I went to this site to try to download some demo programs to try out. First I got a popup saying "congratulations, you are the 1 millionth visitor to this site. You just won $2500. Call this no. to claim your prize." It even had that "verified" logo at the bottom (or a reasonable facsimile thereof, as they say). Just for the heck of it, I called. After being put on hold for 5 min. or so, some guy says "hold on while I check on what you won." After another 5 min. on hold, he tells me I can't get the cash but it can be applied to some vacation packages that I had no interest in. I said I want the cash as advertised (visions of more gear dancing in my head). He keeps trying to hard sell me on the vacations even after I told him 3 times I was not interested. Finally he says "whaddya think we just give out cash?" I say "that's what the offer said. Seems pretty misleading." He snarls "simple minded people!" & hangs up on me. A most exemplary salesperson....

When I went back to the site, every time I clicked on a category on the menu, a popup redirected me to another retail site & wouldn't let me back to where I wanted to go. Now, I know there are all kinds of scammers online, but is this the norm for this site? I'm not looking for cracked programs, but all these popups sure make this site seem sleazy. Is this site legit? Who the heck runs it? They must think "anyone who goes there must be some sucker looking for something for nothing."

sometimes it makes you wish there was some kinda internet police (besides John Ashworth, that is).

secret - this must be something NEW. i just tried hitsquad and you are correct. never used to happen. dont know why its changed.
once i clicked X on the pop up banner. i was fine to move around.
i dont like it either. but just x it out.
peace

Back