What is it called, when you press a key and it goes on and off, like a tremolo?

db_loser

Kinda like a tremolo with the depth all the way up?

With my DSS-1 (and my Poly800) I can do this by putting the joystick all the way down, but different sounds have different effects assigned to it.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to adjust the sound so this happens all the time (with a specific tempo) but not knowing what it is called, it's a bit hard to search for.

Thank you,

db

Well, not to be smart, but I think it's called... tremolo, which is a modulation in the volume of a signal. You might also search for "vibrato" (modulation in the pitch, but some- including Leo Fender- incorrectly interchange the two terms,) or "Leslie" (after the tremolo-inducing speaker cabinet with a rotating speaker.) Or maybe "rotosound" or similar.

Do a Google search for LFO modulation of VCA's.

Thank you! This is exactly it.

I'm used to terms being used for guitar... pretty new to synth terms.

Now to figure out if my Korg DSS-1 allows for lfo modulation...

Idiomlull, arpeggiators need more than one note to be pressed at the same time in order to arpeggiate, no? If a single note would allow for that then yeah, that would work as well.

Stevie, thanks.. I'm used to those terms with guitar playing, wasn't sure if they applied to synths too.

Idiomlull, arpeggiators need more than one note to be pressed at the same time in order to arpeggiate, no? If a single note would allow for that then yeah, that would work as well.

The arpeggiator can do both(Single and multiple notes). A lot of times if I just want a pulsing on off bass note I will use the arpeggiator(Has better rhythm than I do) and adjust it's value from 1/8 notes up to 1/64's and then use the synths attack and decay to give it different feel. Just a thought.

Well, you are welcome, but it appears I was barking up the wrong tree. Glad you got the info you needed, anyway.

Back