what is dark? hi-pass filter?

303Lithgow

I was reading a review on a mic and they were talking about it being a little dark on the low side. What does that mean?

If I understand it correct does a hi-pass filter effect the low sounds?

If I understand it correct does a hi-pass filter effect the low sounds?

Yes, a HPF affects the low sounds by attenuating any frequencies below the cut-off point (usually 80 or 120 hz for most mics I've seen). That's why it's called a high-pass filter. Anything higher than the bar passes on, and the lower stuff gets the boot :)

I was reading a review on a mic and they were talking about it being a little dark on the low side. What does that mean?

Generally, referring to a mic as being "dark" means it has less high frequency response. So a high-pass filter could be just the cure for a mic that is too dark.

But really, most of those are vague and very subjective descriptions. You hear mics described as warm, cold, sweet, wiggly, jangly, brown, tinny, lemony, etc.

they were talking about it being a little dark on the low side.."
Odd way of saying it. Maybe missing some context, but you can have 'dark by a rolled off top end, or sometimes simply in a relative comparison by not having the typical top boost of a lot of mics.
'Dark on the low side..? No comprende.

Yeah. I always think of a "dark" mic as emphasising the low mids downwards, often at the expense of detail in the highs. It's sort of the opposite to a "bright" mic which emphasises/has a lot of detail in the higher ranges.

However, this all goes to show the problem with imprecise words and phrases trying to describe what we hear.

they were talking about it being a little dark on the low side.."
Odd way of saying it. Maybe missing some context, but you can have 'dark by a rolled off top end, or sometimes simply in a relative comparison by not having the typical top boost of a lot of mics.

I think they were talking about being dark and Hi-pass as being separate. Sorry if I was unclear on that.

I think they were talking about being dark and Hi-pass as being separate. Sorry if I was unclear on that.

You didn't mention them saying anything about a Hi-pass. Your original post seems to be the oddly worded quote of theirs about "dark on the low side" (which is kind of a nonsense phrase as others have said in gentler terms) then your own question about a hi-pass. What exactly did these people say?

Generally, referring to a mic as being "dark" means it has less high frequency response. So a high-pass filter could be just the cure for a mic that is too dark.
That would band-pass the midrange. I'd think a high shelf boost might "fix" a dark mic...then again... most dark mics I've used are that way on purpose and we use them as such...and choose a brighter mic if more high end is needed.
But really, most of those are vague and very subjective descriptions. You hear mics described as warm, cold, sweet, wiggly, jangly, brown, tinny, lemony, etc.
lmao, too true :D "It has kind of a silky peanut butter sound with a hint of ice shavings".
My thoughts exactly - it doesn't make sense. Just "dark" would... or "heavy on the low end" or... any other description that's not effectively saying: "The dark sounding frequencies sound dark". Wtf? :confused::confused:

You didn't mention them saying anything about a Hi-pass. Your original post seems to be the oddly worded quote of theirs about "dark on the low side" (which is kind of a nonsense phrase as others have said in gentler terms) then your own question about a hi-pass. What exactly did these people say?

I guess part of the confusion is the subject topic said Hi and then the body said Low. I'm not familiar with the terms and am easily confused. Sorry about that, just part of dealing with a FNG I guess.

I guess part of the confusion is the subject topic said Hi and then the body said Low. I'm not familiar with the terms and am easily confused. Sorry about that, just part of dealing with a FNG I guess.
Oh, well that clears it all up.... :confused::confused:

Yes, a HPF affects the low sounds by attenuating any frequencies below the cut-off point (usually 80 or 120 hz for most mics I've seen). That's why it's called a high-pass filter. Anything higher than the bar passes on, and the lower stuff gets the boot :)

Thanks for the answer. I guess I confused others but your reply answered my question.

Back