What is a "Project Studio"

williamconifer

Hey folks, I gotta question. I see the phrase "project studio" thrown around quite a bit. It got me thinking just what the hell it is. Any thoughts?

jack

Well......

The lines between home studios, project studios, and pro studios are getting more blurry all the time, so here's my interpretation:

Home studio: hobbyist making no money
Project studio: really good home studio owned by a dude that knows how to mix and does really good work but still can't make any money.
Pro Studio: making money

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

Probably the only true pro studio gear I have is a pair of Genelecs, and Sonar of course! OK. And the Waves plug ins. So, perhaps "Pro" means can't get much better at what it does.

I think these terms "Home" and "Project" are mostly a sales pitch to get people to BUY BUY BUY MORE BIGGER FASTER, perhaps making them think they're moving up in the world by going from the former to the latter.

;-)
Jan

I was trying to figure this out. Project Studio would infer that you work on audio/media projects versus recording sessions. I was guessing that this type of studio woudl be used for personal or commercial projects, like remixing or post production work. In other words the studio contributes to the content not just recording someone elses content. This also infers that projects are not charged by the hour but by the project. Like "score this video for $xxx.xx". That is how I am interpreting it. Am I off in left field on this?

jack

Heh heh heh...

A project studio is where you work on projects. My understanding from the old days is that a project studio was a home studio of a professional where the professional could do things off the clock for personal reasons. Like Bruces studio at home could be a project studio if he worked mainly at an outside facility. Some would classify it as a demo studio because its size it suited for smaller than grand scale projects, like orchestras, it has more to do with live room size than equipment lists. But for 4 to 6 piece rock, blues, jazz etc..bands his facilty is operating as a pro studio because his equipment, room sizes and money making abilty. Bruce's studio meets the criteria for all three types of studio's. There are many pro studios that don't make any real money because of expeditures, overhead blah.....eventually the return to the home project type of studio. There are no real lines to be drawn because the purposes can be interchangeable. Semi pro studio is another term Ive heard and its similar. Ive seen home studios' shame even some large facilites in girth of square footage and equipment. I hope I blurred the lines enough for ya.

SoMm

I had the same exact question, and as somebody mentioned before, I think it comes from the times the differences between home recording and professional studio was bigger than now.

IMO, I think that the only difference between a pro and "other kind of" studio is the legal stuff. at least in my country a professional studio requires a lot of legal papers to work, and has to pay taxes and bla bla. In the end, is the result and the attitude of the people working what defines a good or a bad job.

I think of it like this:
Pro Studio - somewhere that takes your money and doesn't really worry if the product is good or bad, profit comes from throughput.
Project studios - where budgets are tighter, but production quality comes before out and out profit - AND - they only work on material and people they like.
Home studio - nowadays, simply a studio where you live. Expenditure on it runs from pennies to millions. Quality depends on the skill of the individual rather than the studio itself.

project studios are where retired projectionists live, breed and make cups of tea for guests, they rarely venture outside into society.

Back