What is a producer ?

Mjb wasn't having a go at you. He was gently trying to get you to calm down and provide something in the thread that amounted to more than a rant.
Well ok. It came across that he was very nasty and arrogant. I will speak and will be determined not to do a silly rant again and learn from my mistake if he would be prepared to speak also. Thanks Grim

Mjb wasn't having a go at you. He was gently trying to get you to calm down and provide something in the thread that amounted to more than a rant.
Not that all rants are misplaced, though. Some of them are actually really insightful.
Thanks Grim... I hope this situation can be amicably resolved 😇

Not that all rants are misplaced, though. Some of them are actually really insightful.
I need to just think of what I say before I post. I have very passionate views which other people may not share xxx

My understanding is that the term's definition, like many words in English/American English, has evolved over time along with how we create music.

The original "music producer" was the guy (it was a sexist era) who ran the radio show on which the artists appeared. He would be presented with an artist, a group of professionals who did the coordination (the director, ad, etc),technical,( the engineers, etc), writers(the announcers would need patter, often the artist may have to plug a product which would have a script), assistants, etc. He would be the guy who would choose those who would do the actual creative work, then critique the result with notes to the director until the performance fit whatever he was paid to make it conform to.

When music recording became separate from the radio companies the recording "industry" started IMO. At that point the "producer" was chosen by the record company, worked for the record company or worked for one of the new fangled "recording studios" that had either been spun off of radio/tv companies or had been supplying content for them. The producer role was similar to its previous iteration, however with some changes. Now he is beholden to a broader range of people, including the artist, increasingly. Now a "vision" for an album and individual performances were coordinated between the artist, their management, the record company, and the producer. The producer did whatever was in their power to achieve that vision to the best of their ability, which varied from one producer to the next. As has been mentioned , some producers have added their musical skills, arrangement ability, engineering skills, and other creative skills. Others just did the critic thing, chose those that would do the arranging, engineering, etc. or just less direct involvement.

Now we have left much of the big studio/record company paradigm behind and multi hat nature of music production has again evolved our definition to include those who create "content" of any kind.

IMHO the definition of producer has just expanded over time to contain all of these possibilities.

My understanding is that the term's definition, like many words in English/American English, has evolved over time along with how we create music.

The original "music producer" was the guy (it was a sexist era) who ran the radio show on which the artists appeared. He would be presented with an artist, a group of professionals who did the coordination (the director, ad, etc),technical,( the engineers, etc), writers(the announcers would need patter, often the artist may have to plug a product which would have a script), assistants, etc. He would be the guy who would choose those who would do the actual creative work, then critique the result with notes to the director until the performance fit whatever he was paid to make it conform to.

When music recording became separate from the radio companies the recording "industry" started IMO. At that point the "producer" was chosen by the record company, worked for the record company or worked for one of the new fangled "recording studios" that had either been spun off of radio/tv companies or had been supplying content for them. The producer role was similar to its previous iteration, however with some changes. Now he is beholden to a broader range of people, including the artist, increasingly. Now a "vision" for an album and individual performances were coordinated between the artist, their management, the record company, and the producer. The producer did whatever was in their power to achieve that vision to the best of their ability, which varied from one producer to the next. As has been mentioned , some producers have added their musical skills, arrangement ability, engineering skills, and other creative skills. Others just did the critic thing, chose those that would do the arranging, engineering, etc. or just less direct involvement.

Now we have left much of the big studio/record company paradigm behind and multi hat nature of music production has again evolved our definition to include those who create "content" of any kind.

IMHO the definition of producer has just expanded over time to contain all of these possibilities.
Producer is someone who oversees and controls the whole process of recording and finishes the final product. Its someone who tells the musicians what to play, the engineers how to do the mix etc. A producer is overated in my view. Anyone without any musical skills or technical ability could be a producer.

Of course, the recording industry has been democratised by DAW. 20 Years ago Daniel Beddingfield had a number one hit using the first Protools DAW and a Condensor mike to his PC in his bedroom.

Producer is someone who oversees and controls the whole process of recording and finishes the final product. Its someone who tells the musicians what to play, the engineers how to do the mix etc. A producer is overated in my view. Anyone without any musical skills or technical ability could be a producer.
Totally wrong! Producers, IMO, play an important role whenever a band is in the process of recording an album by suggesting what or who to add or subtract to each song recorded in the studio.

Have you ever listened to Christopher Cross singing "I really don't know anymore" and then hearing Michael MacDonald singing "I really don't know" a second later?

The role of a music producer is to bring to the table anyone and everyone together to produce a successful album.

Totally wrong! Producers, IMO, play an important role whenever a band is in the process of recording an album by suggesting what or who to add or subtract to each song recorded in the studio.

Have you ever listened to Christopher Cross singing "I really don't know anymore" and then hearing Michael MacDonald singing "I really don't know" a second later?

The role of a music producer is to bring to the table anyone and everyone together to produce a successful album.
They are both great musicians so could produce it themselves

That guy mjbphotos has had a really nasty couple of goes at me. Really smug and nasty and arrogant. I never said a word against him but he trolls me. The sort of guy who hides his own issues and problems by having a go at others to boost his low self esteem. So I make no apologies, I am a drunk and a target but a lot more clever than I come across, I have mjb figured out, he has issues.
End of
Saying that you shouldn't post while shit-faced is 'having a go'? Seek help, Smithers. If you are 'a lot more clever than I come across' (your words), prove it by NOT posting when you are shit-faced, then having to come back and apologize after.

Saying that you shouldn't post while shit-faced is 'having a go'? Seek help, Smithers. If you are 'a lot more clever than I come across' (your words), prove it by NOT posting when you are shit-faced, then having to come back and apologize after.
Can we call a truce please? Yes you are right. I will try to learn from the experience. Thanks

I am seeking help

Spector ruined Long and Winding Road, Paul hated it
Opinions diverge on this. Unless one heard the "Let it be" bootlegs {either film or music} that did the rounds from 1970 until the 21st Century, then until the Naked album came out in 2003, the majority of listeners of "The Long and Winding Road" would only be familiar with the Spector produced album. We got a little bit of a glimpse into what McCartney had been blathering on about when the Anthology came out in the mid-90s but in reality Phil Spector's version is what ruled the roost for 30+ years.
I like that version. I couldn't be bothered with going to listen to Paul's preferred version because I had no problem with the official release. I first heard it when I was 13 and I nearly always liked it.
People have always slaughtered Phil Spector for "Let it be" but almost without exception, every commentator overlooks and ignores the reality of what was going on with the Beatles at the time. Glyn Johns did 2 or 3 mixes of the album and the Beatles rejected every one. They couldn't bear listening to any of it and after the sessions, they abandoned much of what had been filmed and recorded and went on to work on the songs that became "Abbey Road." John had left the band before he got Phil Spector to work on the mixes for the album. Lennon's opinion was that he did a great job. As he put it, "When I heard it, I didn't puke."

Back