what is a direct out jack?

Rolland

Hi, I recently bought a 70's Marshall Lead 12 combo amp. It has one output jack called direct out which I haven't seen before. Is this somethin like a preamp out,line out or a speaker out jack? Cos' I would like to do direct recording with this amp. Thanks in advance!

Is it a 1/4" jack or an XLR? On most newer models of amps I've noticed that the manufacturers have been installing a direct out from the preamp. Not sure with the Marshall without looking at the paperwork.

I don't want to tell you to plug into your board direct without knowing more

Yo Rolland:

I have a small GK amp in my studio that I sometimes use to run an electric bass DIRECTLY into my multitrack recorder.

DIRECT OUT usually means that whatever you INPUT, bypasses the speaker; thus the speaker is passive when this bus is used. So, while wearing the headset, a pure sound is heard and there is no competition from the speaker.

It is a good feature and you can also use this bus to run input silently out into another speaker across the room for whatever reason.

Have fun and remember: busses are like a retirement fund: You put something in and get something out.

Green Hornet

Thanks Green Hornet and Steve. The direct out is a 1/4" jack. This Lead 12 Marshall amp is quite an old model and I think maybe the name Direct Out was used before Line Outs . So I guess it's safe to plug into the mixer directly?

Back